IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-)
All frameworks will suffer from upgrades.

With Django, it's not even to version 1.0 so pieces are still in flux. What I do right now is symlink a Subversion checkout into my Python lib directory and periodically update it. Nothing drastic has broken yet.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New What was at the end?
I found it halfway through my lunch half-hour and haven't had time to go back to it yet.

BTW mad props to this place for collectively recognizing both the fun and the futility of the demo, and having a reasonable discussion about the reality behind it. If I were actually looking to choose a framework, I'd bookmark this thread.
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New He built an actual application with each.
Trivial, still, and he didn't really know what he was doing with several of the frameworks, but nonetheless somewhat instructional.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-)
\r\n

Nothing drastic has broken yet.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

Give us time :)

\r\n\r\n

OK, not really drastic, but when newforms-admin lands on trunk a bunch of stuff will change, and Malcolm's Unicode work is going to hopefully make everybody quit bytestrings cold turkey (which, given where Python 3 is going, is good practice anyway).

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New Django newforms...
What exactly is it? I've yet to find a decent explanation of the changes, or even how to use newforms (if any changes in usage are even necessary).
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: Django newforms...

Beginnings of the new documentation are [link|http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/newforms/|here].

\r\n\r\n

In a nutshell:

\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
  • Manipulators were cumbersome to write, so a declarative metaclass has been introduced for specifying form fields. Form classes can now be declared in much the same way as models.
  • \r\n
  • Separation of several concerns; there's now a "widget" layer which handles the actual HTML presentation, and allows you to interchangeably specify different widget types for different fields in the form class.
  • \r\n
  • Easier usage; instead of the nasty copy-POSTdata-into-dict-and-validate stuff, you can now pass request.POST directly to a form, and forms have an is_valid method carries out validation for you on demand; you can then read known-good data out of the form's clean_data dictionary, which will also have the values converted to appropriate Python types (removing the need for do_html2python).
  • \r\n
  • Custom validation methods can be declared as methods of the form class, taking their names from fields they validate; a clean_foo method will be called to validate the form field named foo, for example.
  • \r\n
  • The internals of newforms work purely with Unicode strings, and we're moving toward having all of Django's internals do that to get out of the hell of "what encoding is this data in".
  • \r\n
\r\n\r\n

So far I'm a big fan of it; I was able to whip up [link|http://django-registration.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/forms.py|a nice little user-registration form] without much code at all, as my first foray into newforms.

\r\n\r\n

The integration into the admin is going to be the next big step; the admin app is getting heavily refactored to take full advantage of newforms and add a lot more flexibility (for example, you'll be able to easily override individual parts of the admin, with full access to the request to do more advanced permissions filtering).

Expand Edited by ubernostrum May 5, 2007, 09:21:19 PM EDT
New Good deal.
Doesn't sound like porting to newforms will be a huge concern, either. The concepts are mostly the same; just move the logic somewhere else.

I remember when Twisted went from woven to nevow. What a cluster that was.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Yeah.

The admin migration will involve some code changes because we're taking the opportunity to move admin definitions out of the model classes, but aside from that it's not a terribly difficult change to make, and code ends up a lot cleaner afterwards.

New I don't use the admin stuff
So no big deal.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Nifty demo of J2EE vs Zope vs RoR vs django vs etc ... - (drewk) - (32)
         WooHoo! J2EE is the way to go! ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Thoughts... - (admin) - (27)
             Other thoughts - (tuberculosis) - (16)
                 Other other thoughts... - (admin) - (14)
                     Builder pattern - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                         Not impressed. - (admin) - (5)
                             You still don't get it - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                 No, I get it just fine. - (admin) - (3)
                                     Been there before - maintenance Hell - not going back -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Your experience differs from mine. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                             Apparently so -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Builder pattern... :-O - (static) - (1)
                             Two things - (tuberculosis)
                         Oi! Even if your screen is six foot wide, not everyone's is! - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             Do you have a 1886 Volvo CRT, too? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 El Cheapo older(ish) HP laptop, 1024 x 768 I think. - (CRConrad)
                             Yah sure - done -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Great, Thanks. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Document generation in code - (ubernostrum)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-) - (admin) - (8)
                     What was at the end? - (drewk) - (1)
                         He built an actual application with each. - (admin)
                     Re: If you only saw half you missed the best parts. :-) - (ubernostrum) - (5)
                         Django newforms... - (admin) - (4)
                             Re: Django newforms... - (ubernostrum) - (3)
                                 Good deal. - (admin) - (2)
                                     Yeah. - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                                         I don't use the admin stuff - (admin)
         He needed to investigate integration - (warmachine) - (2)
             Depends on what you're doing - (admin) - (1)
                 I have back-ends - (warmachine)

One of them has appalling taste in home decor, but if this is symptomatic of brain damage I submit that long-term exposure to the cultural vacuum of the San Fernando Valley is at least as plausible a proximate cause.
102 ms