IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DSL woes
This happens at intervals of four to six months: the DSL connection suddenly becomes balky and stalls out. I power down the DSL "modem" and the router, wait two to five minutes (depending on degree of personal antsiness), re-ignite and, when the various LEDs indicating initialization have settled down, fire up the browser again. At this point I'm good for maybe half a dozen screens, or maybe two minutes stationary, before the syndrome recurs. Rinse and repeat: on occasion nothing short of a reboot of the entire system (along with the aforementioned components) suffices. After a day or three the problem goes away, but while it lasts it's like driving a car that lurches forward ten feet between restarts.

Has anyone experienced similar troubles? Any ideas as to cause?

grinding teeth down to bleeding stubs,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New I saw similar things with my cable modem for a while.
E.g. [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=232605|#232605].

Things have worked very well here for the last few months. I assume my problems were on the network or the external wiring somewhere - nothing I did fixed anything.

I hope whatever it is that's causing your problems doesn't require intervention on your part. Few things can be more frustrating than waiting for communications service personnel...

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New call the provider, someone may have tagged your line
inadvertantly causing intermittent outages.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New Oh, I've had a few.
Once it was a tech connecting some wires he shouldn't have (it's called a "bridge tap"). Essentially, there was a "Y" with one leg going to me and the other going up the street and open at the end. Of course an open end acts like a mirror. Strangely, it only acted up during certain hours.

Another time it was a misconfiguration at the Central Office.

Another time the repair guy stopped at the Central Office and did something, then came out here and tested, said nothing was wrong and charged me $60. It started working just before he arrived - just enough time to get in a van and drive here from the CO.

The most recent time was quite erratic. Before calling I went out and wiggled wires. Found the installer hadn't screwed down one of the binding posts tight and changes in temperature were causing the connection to make or break.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus April 24, 2007, 10:08:42 PM EDT
New I get that each time it rains.
grumble, crappy Telstra infrastructure, grumble...

At least there's an upside to the drought here. I may end up a dehydrated husk, but at least my internets will be good! :)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Bitch to your provider about line quality.
And then hope the problem is outside the house so it's really their network problem. If they have to chase problems inside your house it's on your nickel.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Equip oneself with a proper screwdriver...
tighten everything down at the inside focal point of all the wiring associated with Phone equipment and DSL.

/me bets it is similar to Andrew's distress.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     DSL woes - (rcareaga) - (6)
         I saw similar things with my cable modem for a while. - (Another Scott)
         call the provider, someone may have tagged your line - (boxley)
         Oh, I've had a few. - (Andrew Grygus)
         I get that each time it rains. - (Meerkat)
         Bitch to your provider about line quality. - (a6l6e6x)
         Equip oneself with a proper screwdriver... - (folkert)

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!
66 ms