IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No state income tax.
So we make no money there.

Paul Allen put up a small bit of money, that he made back by selling the naming rights for the stadium to QWest. The amount made back in taxes isn't remotely close to the actual cost of the project. They were a status symbol and nothing else. Hell, we're still paying off the bond for the Kingdome, and the replacement stadium actually has FEWER seats than the Kingdome did - it just has more luxury boxes, which Dictator Allen (he's the guy really in charge of Seattle) gets to rent out for $bigbucks.

We did a remodel of the Key Arena less than ten years ago, at the request of the Sonics. Now a new guy buys them, runs them into the ground, then demands a remodel or he'll move the team? Well, fuck you too. We're still paying off the debt from the last remodel...

Look, if they want a government-sponsored stadium, then they can forgo monopoly protection. As long as sports leagues are allowed to keep their exemption from monopoly status and antitrust laws, the government should not be subsidizing them. We've got real issues that need addressing - a neglected highway system, an underfunded educational system, and issues with out of control housing prices and transit that need serious attention now, not some whining nancyboy billionaire who wants to suck us dry for his little toy...
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
Expand Edited by inthane-chan April 17, 2007, 11:51:54 AM EDT
New Only baseball has an antitrust exemption
New I did not know that.
The rest of my points stand, and I still don't believe we should be in the business of jumping every time major league sports says "hop!"
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
New Go read my other comment
In the SFBA, nobody is asking for $500 million; instead, the owners are looking at putting up around that much.

IMSHO, it all depends on cost. If I were in SF, and the 49ers were going to spend $600 million on a new stadium, and wanted $100 million of city money (e.g. to pay for road improvements), then I'd vote yes - it's worth it. But $500 million for a basketball arena? No way!

--Tony
New Then we're almost in agreement.
My problem is that this is not the kind of thing that I think the government should be involved with - private industry/entertainment should pay its own way. If it's not economically feasible on its own, then tough shit, and that includes paying to cover changes to highways and whatnot.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
New Indianpolis residents are ponying up $142 million.
And they will be paying for the stadium they also funded until 2012. It will be torn down in 2009. That's right, in addition to the 142 million they're going to pay for the new stadium, they'll *STILL* be making payments on the building that doesn't exist anymore.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
     Don't let the door smack your butt on the way out! - (inthane-chan) - (10)
         You know you collect taxes on their salaries - (bepatient) - (9)
             Yes, by all means. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 ? - (bepatient)
                 Some owners do put a lot in - (tonytib)
             No state income tax. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                 Only baseball has an antitrust exemption -NT - (tonytib) - (4)
                     I did not know that. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Go read my other comment - (tonytib) - (2)
                             Then we're almost in agreement. - (inthane-chan)
                             Indianpolis residents are ponying up $142 million. - (mmoffitt)

Your LRPD God[tm] is HERE!
99 ms