IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My $0.02.
I've got 3 Calphalon pans - 2 saucepans from Target with glass lids, one frypan from Amazon with a stainless lid. The Amazon pan is a 12", deep [link|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQHTW6/002-4553159-4208016|frypan] with an anodized coating and a non-stick interior. It has stainless steel handles and a stainless lid. It was only $26. It's a white-box thing that was made in China, but it does seem to be a genuine Calphalon pan. (It's not available now.)

The stainless coating isn't indestructable, but it's much better than what a similar sized frypan we got as a gift (from HSN) a few years ago.

In general, I think it's better to buy high-quality stuff that will last a long time than to buy cheaper stuff that has to be replaced every few years. But with non-stick pans, I'm not so sure. I can't see spending $100 or more for a non-stick skillet.

For frying, a machined cast iron skillet is hard to beat. For tomato sauces, that wouldn't work so well (it would lose its seasoning too easily). I generally heat up tomato sauces in an old brown glass Pyrex 3 quart sauce pan with lid in the microwave because it's too easy for me to burn it on our electric range. I'm not fan of enameled pans as they seem too easy to uglify. Similarly with copper and copper-bottomed pans.

I guess my bottom line is that I don't think an ideal set of cooking pans exists yet. In general, I'm happy with my Calphalon stuff, but I don't do much frying and the like. I also plan on replacing pans like that every few years.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: My $0.02.
Thanks.

I don't think we're interested in anodized or nonstick coatings again. They go away too quickly. And while I like the lightness of the aluminum, the warped pan irritated me to no end.

The frypan you linked is exactly the one we have, except we have a glass lid. It was a great pan until the coating started to come off. Calphalon is too expensive to replace that often, too. The coup de grace came when my wife heated up egg-dipping wax in it (in containers, but apparently they leaked)... I took one look at the poor pan, with wax caught in the distressed non-stick bottom, and said, "New pan time. I'm not cleaning this shit."

Nonstick might be OK for a dedicated tomato sauce pan if I could get her to ease up on the stirring.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Get softer stirring utensils; wooden or plastic spoons etc.
[Edit: Ah, OK, you got that already... Sorry, hadn't read the whole thread as I wrote that. Still (as Greg seems to be implying), maybe wooden stuff is even softer than plastic?]
Expand Edited by CRConrad April 17, 2007, 02:18:43 AM EDT
New One more thing - Dishwashers are a no-no.
Very few non-stick pans are dishwasher safe. I'm sure you know that. :-)

There's a fairly good article on cookware from December 2005 at [link|http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/cooking-cleaning/cookware-1205/cr-quick-recommendations/index.htm|Consumer Reports]. You may need to have a subscription to read it though.

Cheers,
Scott.
New If you don't have a subscription...
...It's extremely likely that your local library does.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Our pans have never seen the inside of one :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Pan recommendations... - (admin) - (40)
         My $0.02. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Re: My $0.02. - (admin) - (4)
                 Get softer stirring utensils; wooden or plastic spoons etc. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 One more thing - Dishwashers are a no-no. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     If you don't have a subscription... - (Yendor)
                     Our pans have never seen the inside of one :-) -NT - (admin)
         We have been replacing our Calphalon with... - (folkert) - (2)
             Thanks - (admin) - (1)
                 Oh... I see. - (folkert)
         I have the same stuff - (tuberculosis)
         First - I don't believe in coatings. - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
             Apart from the wok... - (admin) - (17)
                 Well, if cost is no object . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                     Cost is no object if it's going to last. - (admin) - (1)
                         Oh, they'll last all right. - (Andrew Grygus)
                     This stuff? - (admin) - (12)
                         pay that much for cookware? Dont they have yard sales there? -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                             If someone else didn't want the pan... - (admin) - (5)
                                 Divorced gourmet chefs are your friend... ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 gramp bought gran a $350 cook set 20 years ago - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Well, here's the thing: - (admin) - (2)
                                         :-( scragging thru other peoples junk is a sport (to me) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             I'd rather play soccer with the 3yo - (admin)
                         Yes, that's the stuff. - (Andrew Grygus)
                         No, this. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Strangely . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Yow! -NT - (admin)
                             But, but, you're ignoring gift Panini Set and free shiping! - (a6l6e6x)
                 agree with andrew on the non stick stuff, as for cleaning - (boxley)
         Just a couple of months ago... - (Yendor) - (7)
             Re: Just a couple of months ago... - (admin) - (6)
                 Re: Just a couple of months ago... - (Yendor) - (5)
                     We have a giant corner cupboard. - (admin) - (4)
                         Got a picture? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Re: Got a picture? - (admin) - (2)
                                 Ah. I can picture it; no need to dig one up. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     I can't; dig away, First One! -NT - (CRConrad)
         We went for these: - (admin) - (2)
             Those are good ones. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 That's good to know. - (admin)

Spiderman! Spiderman! Does whatever a spider can!
82 ms