IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Technically he could
He can't contradict his predecessor?
Never mind the 'I don't want to accept evolution' or the unverifiability crap, does "We cannot haul 10,000 generations into the laboratory," fall under papal infallibility or something?

I believe that technically he could, as the previous pronouncement was not in the "infallible" category. But the Popes go out of their way to avoid doing so, particularly ones within living memory. Can't have the church appear to be flip-flopping after all.

Can bishops claim this as fact like HIV sized holes in condoms?

Yep. Pretty much by definition, anybody who is a Catholic bishop would consider any position of the Pope to be fact.

Jay
New "Only in matters of 'faith and morals'" re
Yep. Pretty much by definition, anybody who is a Catholic bishop would consider any position of the Pope to be fact.

..is the way I heard it.

(...back when such futile discussions seemed like a lot of fun.)

New Yup. Me too. And futile is right. :-)
New Re: "Only in matters of 'faith and morals'" re
"Only in matters of 'faith and morals'" re
..is the way I heard it.

Normal Catholic doctrine (though I'm not sure if it is an official Church position) grounds our ability to understand the universe in faith. Thus, matters of faith can be easily extended to cover anything.

But I was speaking in a more casual sense. Anybody that rises to the level of Bishop in the catholic church might have his points of disagreement with the church, but will in general follow the Catholic party line. Including the concept that the church is a single monolithic structure lead from the top. That is a basic point of the Catholic faith, if you don't agree with that it is hard to say you are a Catholic.

(...back when such futile discussions seemed like a lot of fun.)

Everything we do is ultimately pointless and futile. Better to learn to enjoy the trip then agonize over it.

Jay
New Agree re the practical effect, on the plebs
- still, a few Jesuits down in the basement would.. try to parse some rilly Outr\ufffd utterance.
After all: it is What They Do.

As to all that ..sound and fury, signifying nothing - -

Thou sayest;
we just pick up a few shiny pebbles on the beach while enjoying the Mystery - and bitching about the ones whose first thought, on spying a particularly colorful one, is - where's my .357 slingshot?

Pope carefully backtracks on Evolution - (JayMehaffey) - (21)
         He can't contradict his predecessor? - (warmachine) - (5)
             Technically he could - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                 "Only in matters of 'faith and morals'" re - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Yup. Me too. And futile is right. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Re: "Only in matters of 'faith and morals'" re - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                         Agree re the practical effect, on the plebs - (Ashton)
         Tough beans - (Silverlock)
         Consitituency - (ChrisR)
         Whatever you say Mr Nowhere Man -NT - (tuberculosis)
         A classic ID dismissal is gone - (warmachine) - (9)
             Give the pope a break! - (GBert) - (8)
                 Sure, when he stops supporting mythology - (warmachine) - (7)
                     he is not a scirntist but a theologian - (boxley) - (6)
                         They're not mutually exclusive - (warmachine) - (5)
                             please explain the following, only using evolutionary dogma - (boxley) - (4)
                                 Dogma? -NT - (Silverlock)
                                 This is relevant? - (warmachine) - (2)
                                     how droll - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Did I not say "that it's unknown"? -NT - (warmachine)
         The Economist weighs in. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Yes A very depressing article - (Seamus)

Boy, isn't that true about damn near any subject?
113 ms