IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kurt Vonnegut Jr., RIP
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/books/12vonnegut.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin|Sorry, Ashton.]

in sympathy,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New A real loss. :-(

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New And, so it goes! :(
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Re: Kurt Vonnegut Jr., RIP {sob ... ... }
Yeah.. he fell, perhaps better than lingering unto dotage (who could say.)

Wrote to a friend,

... Only little consolation that.. it's a bit of an anticlimax.
He just could not manage the definitive disembowellment of the KnowNothings --
and in a time frame where such an accomplishment might Matter, re Throwing the Bastards Out :-/

Her reply -

Boo hoo. I think his last book was a pretty good monument to decapitating the neoconmen, "Man Without A Country." Now it will sell again. I loved one essay from that book. Here's my own link for you:

[link|http://blog.cleveland.com/entertainment/2007/04/kurt_vonnegut_provocative_harr.html| The Plain Dealer]

Kurt Vonnegut: Provocative, harrowing and funny to the end
Posted by Karen R. Long April 12, 2007 15:42PM

Karen R. Long
Plain Dealer Book Editor

When Kurt Vonnegut died Wednesday night in Manhattan, he had a drawing ready, a simple doodle really, of a bird cage standing empty, its door flung open.

Underneath the image is a simple "Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. 1922-2007," the only post Thursday on the writer's official Web site. His quick sketch amounted to the perfect exit line -- accessible, playful, a hint of giving death the slip.

Like some of Vonnegut's writing, in fact. The topic of mortality supplied Vonnegut with endless lines -- from his jokes about having the bad taste to live until he was 84 to his famous refrain whenever a character dies in "Slaughterhouse-Five":

"So it goes."

That funny, harrowing book, published in 1969, quickly became an anti-establishment coda on the absurdities and horrors of war. Vonnegut took his acrid memories of surviving the 1945 Allied firebombing of Dresden, Germany, as a prisoner of war, and turned them into a semi-autobiographical riff, a science-fiction-fueled work of art.

"Slaughterhouse-Five" entered the canon, a paperback wedged into the back pockets of millions of students into the 1970s. Modern Library ranks it 18th on its list of the hundred best novels of 20th-century American literature.

"He's the closest thing we've had to Voltaire," the writer Tom Wolfe told the Associated Press Thursday. "It's a sad day for the literary world."

Some critics have found Vonnegut's books repetitive, glib and a little forced, especially his more recent work. And while he is taught less widely than he was 30 years ago, there are signs that a new generation of students may be discovering him.

Creative-writing students at Ohio State University lit up their laptops with cyberspace messages Thursday, volleying their favorite Vonnegut quotations. And the author's appearances on campus last year and at Severance Hall in Cleveland in 2004 quickly sold out.

"He's a figure who still speaks to ordinary people," observed Dan Chaon, an Oberlin College English professor. "He was such a towering figure in the '70s that I think it was inevitable that his reputation took a dip for a while."

Nevertheless, Chaon said, Vonnegut's influence can be seen in the writing of John Irving, his student at the Iowa Writer's Workshop, and in the work of a new generation like George Saunders and David Foster Wallace.

Ever provocative, Vonnegut told his Ohio State listeners: "If you really want to disappoint your parents, and don't have the nerve to be gay, go into the arts."

[. . .]

Sayonara, Kurt. Tralfamador has just declared a Day of National Celebration of You and Miss Montana Wildhack (and Junior.) Never mind the night canopy..

New Computers.. Kurt retros on Charlie Rose, tonight -
(At ~ age 76 he says to C.R.: "All my books are (still) in print ... I've said all I have to say." C.R. demurs, wheedles {say it Isn't So..} K.V. reiterates. Realizes he's losing-it (rel to the 3 he gives self A+ on: Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse..

Well, I can't recap the 2 vignettes, but near the last of the '96 one, and near end of this C.R. tribute, somehow 'computers' came up; apparently C.R. was in on this point and first mentioned "miniature golf".

"Yes, says Kurt {~ time-wasting, like miniature golf..}"

Poked by C.R. for a bit more on the topic - {Ah, we shall all miss extemporaneous eloquence}

"... It keeps people out of the experience of ... B e c o m i n g

{They should be...} "exploring the basics - food, sex, ___" {rel. w/ people, sorta}

I missed part of a snide ref to Billy Boy, but the gist was the sense that Billy imagines.. that you can do-all-that stuff, <ersatz>
{he didn't say virtual-; didn't need to}
but clear was the inference of the nefarious effects of Billy's marketing / his rah-rah advocacy of A Bogus Liff.. and obv: too fucking successfully.

Fine with me, Kurt..
Any non-geek who can phrase yet another take on the disgusting aspects {re any prospects for adulthood} of Billy, Bally and the {3-blind-mice} credentials of a stereotypical nascent softie candidate?

Passes the IQ test, at any age. Now in perpetuum.
New Vonnegut's final work
can be seen [link|http://www.vonnegut.com/|here].

Very Kurt.

We posture as apostles of fair play, as good sportsmen, as professional knights-errant-- and we throw beer bottles at the umpire when he refuses to cheat for our side...We save the black-and-tan republics from their native [statesmen]--and flood them with "deserving" democrats of our own. We deafen the world with our whoops for liberty--and submit to laws that destroy our most sacred rights...We play policeman and Sunday-school superintendent to half of Christendom--and lynch a darky every two days in our own backyard.

H.L. Mencken, 1914
     Kurt Vonnegut Jr., RIP - (rcareaga) - (5)
         A real loss. :-( -NT - (imric)
         And, so it goes! :( -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Kurt Vonnegut Jr., RIP {sob ... ... } - (Ashton) - (1)
             Computers.. Kurt retros on Charlie Rose, tonight - - (Ashton)
         Vonnegut's final work - (tuberculosis)

tilly remembers how to smell.
81 ms