IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New Century Financial files for chapeter 11
[link|http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8O8KP700.htm|Buisness Week]
Subprime lender New Century Financial Corp., once the nation's second-largest provider of mortgages to high-risk borrowers, filed Monday for bankruptcy protection and immediately fired 3,200 workers, or 54 percent of its work force.

The company said it intends to sell off its major assets.

"The Chapter 11 process provides the best means for selling our servicing and loan origination operations to financially sound parties," president and chief executive Brad A. Morrice said in a statement.

More than two dozen subprime lenders have shut down in recent months and others are scrambling to stay in business.

The biggest so far to go under, and probably not the last. All of the sub-prime lenders are having troubles with bad loans, and many economists say that the worst problems have not hit yet.

New Centuries problems went well beyond bad loans, with numerous criminal and civil cases brewing. Typical of bubbles, some always take the 'push it as far as possible while the market is hot' idea right into criminal conduct.

Jay
New A lot of it has to do with...
The big boys using these sub-primes as pawns.

The big-boys use these guys as resellers. They back the loans, with the caveat that the sub-primes retain a certain Dollar amount to "buy back" loans. The reseller then "sells" the loans to the big boys.

This goes all well and good, until the big-boys notice the reseller in a slight pinch. They then force the resellers to buy-back the loans, putting them into dire straits and financial ruin. The big boys then pick up the loans on about a quarter on a dollar (0.25 for ever dollar on the loan).

Nice way to turn profits?
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New No, most of it has to do with being stupid
and totally skipping underwriting.

Look up the percentages of Stated Income and No Doc / Stated Income loans in CA and you'll see why NC and Co deserve to go bust. And the fallout is going to hit Wall Street, too.

--Tony
New Wall Street has already dealt with it.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Shockingly underhanded.
Mind you, catering to only 'high-risk' borrowers is the definition of madness. I just can't see why any lender would do that: the odds of writing off loans would be several orders of magnitude greater than a more conservative lender. And they were intending to do what with all these default loans?

Wade

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New OPM + Big Fees = Profit!
OPM = Other Peoples' Money. These "sub-prime" lenders often got money from bigger banks who were looking for higher returns. Tim O'Reilly has some [link|http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/03/subprime_loans.html|comments and links] on the subject.

An interesting letter about the US mortgage market issues and parallels to other "paper" is [link|http://www.economist.com/blogs/theinbox/2007/04/housing_markets_1.cfm|here] at the Economist:

Sir--

As always, I enjoyed your leaders section, in particular, [link|http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8888776|"The trouble with the housing market"]. I was particularly struck by the theory that if you had replaced the word "subprime" with the phrase "leveraged finance" your analysis would have worked equally well with the institutional debt markets, particularly in Europe.

Both aim at borrowers with often poor credit records (at least on average) with worries of defaults increasing as introductory "teaser" rates expire. In leveraged finace these teasers are the back-loading of debt structures, for example through the use of payment-in-kind notes, that mean the interest is rolled up to be paid at the end of the debt's term or where there is no repayment (amortisation) of the principal at all.

As you say, "any structural surveyor would spot tightening credit and a glut of...supply". The leverage finance market was up 27% to $253bn last year in Europe, Middle East and Africa, according to Deutsche bank, but even now bankers say there is massive overdemand for paper. Private equity is responsible for most of this - 90% of it, according to ratings agency Standard & Poor's.

And, as with mortgage self-certification, or US liar loans, private equity firms soothe concerns by pointing to pro forma earnings - ie what they hope the company borrowing the money will make this year. These earnings are also colloquially known as 'earnings before the bad stuff' or Ebitda. This means it is not free cashflow that is used to repay debt but earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation - Ebitda.

This overdemand is caused by investors, primarily pension and insurance funds, trying to finding areas promising relatively higher yield than in other areas in order to meet their obligations. But, late this this party as they were to 1990s technology stocks, they are buying assets at the low point in the default cycle from people whose interest is only aligned to selling them the paper - the arranging banks keep very little, if any, through the use of syndicated markets and derivatives.

Worse, the intermediary funds, the hedge and collateralised loan obligation funds, that the pension funds buy also encourage the party but might not be there to help clean up. CLOs and hedge funds make up 80% of the US and more than half of the European leverage finance markets and are incentivised to buy any asset as quickly as possible, securitise it into chunks, or tranches of riskiness, and hope the assets last a few years before any default (hence the weak covenants) so the fees can be collected.

As always, it is hard to grasp the size of the problems being stored up. Houses are seen, but the fruits from this harvest will be stressed and troubled companies with overleveraged balance sheets, probably job cuts and pensions whose promises might not be met. But as these loans are being stashed in more places, ie diversified away from the banks, it is likely that the problems will be shared among many but also, provided some market remains as expected, will be less severe as the debt will be refinanced through a change of ownership (debt for equity swap).

James Mawson

London

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's all very confusing.
Makes me wonder how many times a single dollar can be 'spent' as it goes around the credit cicle. Five? Eight? Twenty? More? :-/ And we wonder why we have debt-problems...

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

· my ·
· [link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] ·
· [link|http://yceran.org/|website] ·

New Securitization
Mind you, catering to only 'high-risk' borrowers is the definition of madness. I just can't see why any lender would do that: the odds of writing off loans would be several orders of magnitude greater than a more conservative lender. And they were intending to do what with all these default loans?

Higher risk means higher interest rates and more potential to make money. The trick in the past was picking through the applicants to find the ones that would pay back the loans. But that limited the market size and some creative accountant invented a better solution.

The method used by lenders now is called securitization. Groups of loans are converted into securities that can be bought and sold. The seller gets cash now and the buyer gets the future interest income. That way the lender doesn't have to hold all the risk of default, and gets more money they can loan out. For the buyers, they are buying a lot of money over the term of the loan at a pretty big discount now.

That is the theory, the reality is much more complex and involves some pretty shady dealing. Apparently in most cases the companies buying these securities have deals which require the lender to buy them back if the default rate rises too high. This means of course that the lender has not really removed the risk. But since the lender's profits and stock price where based on the number of loans they could sell they had every motivation to push as many loans as they could.

The end phase was essentially a Ponzi scheme for some of these lenders. They had to move more and more loans to get enough money to keep ahead of the buy back on bad loans. But that forced them to make increasingly bad loans to get the number of loans up. And eventually they couldn't keep ahead of the cycle.

Jay
New Got an email today
from an old buddy.
His division of a company was wiped out as part of
this process.

Quote:
Hard to believe that their business model of lending money to people who couldn't pay it back was inherently flawed.
     New Century Financial files for chapeter 11 - (JayMehaffey) - (8)
         A lot of it has to do with... - (folkert) - (7)
             No, most of it has to do with being stupid - (tonytib) - (1)
                 Wall Street has already dealt with it. -NT - (bepatient)
             Shockingly underhanded. - (static) - (4)
                 OPM + Big Fees = Profit! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It's all very confusing. - (static)
                 Securitization - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     Got an email today - (crazy)

The key; The whole key; And nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
93 ms