IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The plans were in George's head
"He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999," said author and journalist Mickey Herskowitz. "It was on his mind. He said to me: 'One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, 'My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it.' He said, 'If I have a chance to invade\ufffd.if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency."

[link|http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1028-01.html|http://www.commondre...es04/1028-01.html]
Seamus
New POLO STEP
[link|http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB214/index.htm|National Security Archive]:

[...]

POLO STEP was a coded compartment created during the Clinton administration to encompass covert Iraq and counter-terrorism plans and activities. In the mid-1990s, the compartment specifically included the targeting of Osama bin Laden. Following the September 11 attacks, CentCom, among other military and national security components, used the designation to cover planning for the war in Iraq. (Note 1)

In mid-2002, military analyst William Arkin obtained a leaked copy of a briefing on the Iraq plans and revealed the existence of POLO STEP in an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times (June 23, 2002, p. M1). According to Arkin, the revelation unleashed the fury of Gen. Franks and Secretary Rumsfeld who immediately ordered a probe of the leak that lasted until the end of 2003 and subjected more than 1,000 military and contractor personnel to sometimes repeated questioning. (Note 2)

The slides in this Web posting are a compilation reflecting various iterations in war planning. The U.S. government maintains plans for conflict with a multitude of possible adversaries. The contingency operating plan for Iraq--OPLAN 1003-98--had last been fully reviewed in 1996 and was updated in 1998. It envisioned an invasion force of more than 380,000 troops. Former CentCom commander Gen. Anthony Zinni (who saw gaps in the plan--particularly in regard to the post-war order) organized a war game--Desert Crossing--in 1999 to examine additional contingencies.

[...]

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I am not implying that military plans didn't exist
just that George had planned on implementing them no matter what the justification. A more rational president, Republican or Democrat, would not have marched us into war with Iraq without an actual justification.
Seamus
     Greenwald nails both the Neoconmen, wishy-washy David Brooks - (Ashton) - (11)
         The one thing I would add is that they like expanded gov - (Seamus)
         if you ever got off yer ass and read something else - (boxley) - (9)
             Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Not true - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     We had plans on the books to invade the UK in the '20s. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         The plans were in George's head - (Seamus) - (2)
                             POLO STEP - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 I am not implying that military plans didn't exist - (Seamus)
             Those are fringe elements are they not? - (Seamus) - (2)
                 Pat Buchanan is a FRINGE? He is as mainstream conservative - (boxley) - (1)
                     Pat Buchanan is off the reservation at times - (Seamus)

Unintended consequences.
62 ms