IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Frankly, that report sounds like a cubic butt-ton of BS
To take one example, what does "leadership in promoting the usage of the latest information technology tools" mean? Using Vista? Promoting Web 2.0 hype? Using Linux?

If it means Web 2.0 hype, I'm glad we're not in first - we already have too much.

Real innovation is stuff like inventing transistors, OLED displays, microscopes that can see atoms, programming languages that don't suck, etc.

In my job (programming/robotics/semiconductor/mechanical), I see zero innovation from Denmark. The good stuff comes from the USA, Japan, Germany, and to a lesser extent countries like the UK, France, Korea, and Switzerland.

--Tony
New I don't know
The US is not investing - good people are leaving. My most recent hobby is yacht control and automation systems. Nav, radios, autopilots. Where are these firms moving? They are expecting to head to Dubai as it is expected to surpass Ft Lauderdale as the world HQ for the marine industry by at least 50%.

I"m a mentor for Google Summer of Code. Nearly all applications came from outside the US. I guess the 'murican students are gonna be too busy surfing to work on code.

Ruby comes from Japan ya know.
Python comes from a Dutch guy.
Lua is kinda popular for embedding - Argentina I think.
What came from the US? Oh right - Enterprise Java Beans. Well, maybe not - an Indian did that I think. Still, Gosling is murican.
Oh and Perl - Larry Wall is murican too.

Still, we're not really DOMINATING the way we did. And we still can't get decent cell phones or broadband as easily as in many other countries.

I4 NOW!

Impeach, Indict, Incarcerate, Inject
Bush, Cheney, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice
New It depends on the area, and the US will never be dominant in
everything again. Too many smart people in too many countries. However, greatness (in engineering, physics, literature, music, etc) isn't spread out evenly through space and time.

Open source projects tend to be international. GvR is Dutch (though currently living in Silicon Valley), but the rest of the core Python team varies.

Lua is Brazilian (the Lua team is at a university, PUC-Rio - one of the few academic groups to make a useful programming language). It's also over a decade old (Python, Ruby, Perl, and Java are also pretty old). Erlang is also old, and Swedish (Ericsson).

But, the only new language (<10 years old) I find really interesting is the Io Language, and I'm pretty sure the lead is American. But I don't care about that.

To give you a taste of what I'm talking about, go to Semicon West in SF in July, and look at the companies there. Or the machine vision show (BTW, Canada has some good machine vision companies, such as Dalsa, Matrox, and Point Grey); I don't see Cognex laying people off. Or go to Photonics West. Or to the Embedded Systems Conference.

There's more to technology than computers, the internet, and software.
--Tony
New We're still kicking butt in airplanes, though.
For the six or seven that are sold each year. :0(
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New But Honda's getting into aviation, too
New Not that bad.
[link|http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBasicIndustries-SP/idUSN0516336120070405|Reuters].
The U.S. planemaker continues to lead the lucrative market for larger planes -- helped by its immensely popular 787 "Dreamliner" -- and is edging ahead of European rival Airbus in overall sales this year.

Boeing racked up 189 plane orders for the first three months of the year, compared with 176 for the same period last year, which turned out to be its all-time record year for sales, ending with a total of 1,044 net orders.

According to early reports from Airbus -- which may yet be revised -- it took 37 orders in March, bringing its first-quarter total to 134.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
     US 'no longer technology king' - (tuberculosis) - (9)
         Spot-check: try eBay stats - (Ashton) - (2)
             Not to mention the vacuum of video games. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Nice rant...sad but true - (dmcarls)
         Frankly, that report sounds like a cubic butt-ton of BS - (tonytib) - (5)
             I don't know - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                 It depends on the area, and the US will never be dominant in - (tonytib)
                 We're still kicking butt in airplanes, though. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     But Honda's getting into aviation, too -NT - (tonytib)
                     Not that bad. - (a6l6e6x)

Not even for a Scooby Snack...?
44 ms