IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ?? I would've thought
Maggie would've been leading the charge
New Into Iraq? I don't think so.
I don't know how she would have reacted to the taking of the 15 sailors, but on Iraq she seemed ambivalent. [link|http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gulf/oral/thatcher/2.html|Frontline] (from ~ late 1995):

Q: And you think the job wasn't done properly?

Thatcher: I think they stopped, rather too soon. I think there may have been some confusion about the information they are getting. That often happens during wartime. But, Saddam Hussein is still there.

Q: What do you think the war aims should have been? Should the coalition forces have gone onto Baghdad, should an attempt have been made to arrest...?

Thatcher: I don't know that it was necessary, I don't know that it was necessary to go onto Baghdad, I wasn't there at the time, nor what changes they made to the rules of engagement. You're asking me views on things er to which I was not privy. But I had after all, I hope, managed as Prime Minister, things reasonably successful before, successfully before, and, just look now. Its not over.

Q: How concerned were you that the American Secretary of State was prepared to go that extra mile for peace?

Thatcher: Well, I've always found Jim Baker very good to deal with. After all it was he who came to see me to say look I know that you are sending one armoured brigade, please the President would like you to send another one. I said, I'll go and see, I'll do my level best to to comply with what the President wants because I understood this absolutely vital thing in America that their allies have to be seen to be doing their task fully and not just relying on America.

Q: But you must have been concerned when you heard that he planned to go to Baghdad?

Thatcher: I find these things very strange. It's too much negotiating you know. Once you've started the job, its not starting a job, its carrying on until its well and truly finished, that is the real strength.You know Drake's prayer-- "it is not the beginning of any great venture, the completion of the same, until the task be well and truly finished, which yieldeth the true glory", I rather agreed with that.

Q: Did you counsel either James Baker or President Bush against going to Baghdad...

Thatcher: I was no longer there, I was out. I was out in November. They didn't in fact start the ground war until middle January. I was no longer there, nor consulted, and rightly not consulted.

My reading of that is she wanted Saddam to be completely defeated, but thought it could be done without going to Baghdad. I don't think she'd be wanting to march into Teheran either. She'd want to find another way.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Peter, other brits, whats the mood of the country? - (boxley) - (6)
         If Maggie was still in charge... - (pwhysall) - (4)
             "Am I bovvered? Am I bovvered though?" - (Meerkat)
             true dat, thanks fer the update -NT - (boxley)
             ?? I would've thought - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                 Into Iraq? I don't think so. - (Another Scott)
         Annoyed - (warmachine)

...introduce an "if", and you're down the slippery slope. You add "for", and it's an avalanche. Then the "while" falls on you, and you're buried.
60 ms