IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's not what Bush is claiming
From what I can see, in Bush's view the judicial branch doesn't have rights to adjudicate once he claims exec privilege.

Even Tony Snow thought it was an intriguing question how exec privilege covers the situation he described yesterday:

'"In the White House Press briefing that just concluded, press secretary Tony Snow said that he was not aware of the president being briefed on the US Attorney issue. He further said the president did not sign off on the firings."

CNN's Ed Henry hit the nail on the head: if no conversations occurred with the president, and no advice was given, then how can the White House assert executive privilege, claiming the need to shield presidential advice?

Tony Snow's response: "That's an intriguing question."'

from: [link|http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20070321/cm_huffpost/043954|http://news.yahoo.co...m_huffpost/043954]

"Evidently, Mr. Clinton wants to shield virtually any communications that take place within the White House compound on the theory that all such talk contributes in some way, shape or form to the continuing success and harmony of an administration,'' the columnist wrote. "Taken to its logical extreme, that position would make it impossible for citizens to hold a chief executive accountable for anything.''

A column by Tony Snow quoted from: [link|http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=white+house+executive+privilege+Snow&btnG=Google+Search|http://www.google.co...tnG=Google+Search]
Seamus
New So?
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New So it gets back to the Q
If Bush was not involved in decision to fire AGs, how can Executive Privilege be invoked?

The bigger question is how can people outside the white house support him now? Either the white house is lying and he was involved or he wasn't and the people who support run the risk of looking like hypocrites, like Tony Snow.
Seamus
New They are calling his direct staff.
Its not just the President...its the OFFICE of the President.

And there's no question of the risks involved in this tactic...the biggest one being the historical fact that it doesn't work anyway.
New So?
So what if it is his direct staff, what they want to question his direct staff about doesn't seem to fall under the category of exec privilege. Or are you now claiming that exec privilege covers his direct staff regardless of the topic? Which is way out there.

Unless I am mistaken, what can be claimed under exec privilege is the activities of the white house, not the staff.
Seamus
Expand Edited by Seamus March 22, 2007, 10:11:34 AM EDT
New So Rove is not White House staff now?
New You missed my point
that exec privilege covers activities not people. If the activity is covered by exec privilege, then they can claim they don't have to testify.

Even President Clinton didn't claim exec privilege exempted him from testifying, though he did negotiate the specifics of how he testified.
Seamus
New a link
[link|http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/05/05/executive.privilege/|http://www.cnn.com/A...cutive.privilege/]
In a setback for President Bill Clinton, a federal judge has ruled that White House aides may not claim executive privilege before the Whitewater grand jury looking into sex-and-perjury allegations against the president.

Unless the White House appeals and wins, the decision means White House aides Sidney Blumenthal and Bruce Lindsey will have to appear before the grand jury and answer its questions.

Lindsey is a lawyer and longtime friend of the president; Blumenthal was a sympathetic journalist before he joined the White House as a communications advisor.
because Clinton lost this case he knew claiming executive privilege would not keep him from testifying.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New That is the why he chose to negotiate
The point was that Bush's direct staff is not exempt for testifying if exec privilege doesn't apply, assuming there is evidence they are involved. If it does apply, then any testimony is voluntary regardless of their position on the white house org chart.

The fact that Rove was Bush's deputy chief staff at the time the emails were written is irrelevant.
Seamus
     If Bush was not involved in decision to fire AGs...., - (Silverlock) - (22)
         Got Civics? -NT - (bepatient) - (21)
             What does Honda have to do with this? -NT - (Silverlock) - (20)
                 As in school class that teaches you how gov't works. - (bepatient) - (19)
                     Aide to exec, about items never under discussion with exec - (Silverlock) - (3)
                         Its the branch, not simply the Pres. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                             Clinton would've been happy for your expert opinion -NT - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 She was...and it saved her. - (bepatient)
                     Exec Privilege - (Seamus) - (14)
                         I know that. - (bepatient) - (13)
                             Doesn't seem that way - (Seamus) - (12)
                                 Courts are not likely to be involved unless... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Refusing to testify is a crime -NT - (bepatient)
                                 Thats why there are 3 branches - (bepatient) - (9)
                                     That's not what Bush is claiming - (Seamus) - (8)
                                         So? -NT - (bepatient) - (7)
                                             So it gets back to the Q - (Seamus) - (6)
                                                 They are calling his direct staff. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                     So? - (Seamus) - (4)
                                                         So Rove is not White House staff now? -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                             You missed my point - (Seamus) - (2)
                                                                 a link - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     That is the why he chose to negotiate - (Seamus)

That's not actually how law works.
69 ms