IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any ideas on why this is happening?
Every night before leaving for home, I turn off my office PC. That way I get a clean, hard reboot when I turn it on every morning.

On occassion, approximately every 6 weeks or so, this occurs: I power up the machine, right click on My Computer to bring up the Explorer window. As the left side pane fills in with drive letters, it stops at the second network mapped drive letter, a publicly available share (the drive letter mapped above it is another share on the same server). It can take as little as 30 seconds to display its name, but usually takes 1 to 2 minutes. Sometimes during the day when I'm traversing between folders on my C:\\ drive, it freezes everything, meaning that everything below this drive letter is not displayed, and Explorer just freezes. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get to Task Manager to kill it. Explorer comes back when I right click on My Computer, but has the same problem.

I've tried using a different drive letter for this network share; no help. If I remove it, the problem is transferred to the topmost share drive letter.

It usually goes away the next day - but not always.

I've talked to our jack-of-all-trades hardware/network guy, but he has no idea as to why this happens. Obviously, it's happening today because I'm writing about it now.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, and what steps I can take to stop it from happening again?

TIA!
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New apt-get install debian :-P
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Ain't gonna happen here at work
The company owner is "old time" - he worked with IBM mainframes, then switched to M$ software. ONLY M$ software is used when you're not on the IBM mainframe.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:golf_lover44@yahoo.com|contact me]
New It's probably waiting around trying to dis/connect a share.
Try this, maybe it'll help.

(This is on Win2k - I assume XP is similar.)

In an Explorer window, click on Tools -> Disconnect Network Drive. Kill any connections shown before shutting down, or use it to figure out what's hanging.

I believe shares can be indicated in your Registry as well and it might be trying to update things there - shares that aren't active. Finding those can be a bit of a pain, but you can do it using what's outlined [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=273688|here].

HTH a bit. Please report back if you get it resolved.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Any ideas on why this is happening? - (lincoln) - (3)
         apt-get install debian :-P -NT - (drewk) - (1)
             Ain't gonna happen here at work - (lincoln)
         It's probably waiting around trying to dis/connect a share. - (Another Scott)

do
head.bang(wall);
while(1);
38 ms