IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New US integration meeting uncovered
[link|http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17005.htm|Information Clearinghouse]
Canadian, U.S. and Mexican politicians discussed using "stealth" to overcome public resistance to the integration of the three countries at a confidential meeting last year, according to documents just released under U.S. Freedom of Information laws.

Top military brass, corporate executives and diplomats also attended the meeting in Banff, Alta., where participants discussed everything from the harmonization of food and drug standards, to common immigration policies, and the pooling of energy resources.

The secret guest list of the North American Forum included then-U.S. secretary of defence Donald Rumsfeld, Canadian Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, Pengrowth Corp. CEO James Kinnear and Lockheed Martin executive Ron Covais.

The exact discussions are not recorded. But the agenda is obvious. Use regulatory power to integrate the countries as much as possible without having to face the voting public.

Jay
New What evil. Just like the EU.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New I'm not against integration per se...
...I'm just against it being done without our consent.

If it's used to drag our labor laws, our environmental rights, and our political freedoms down to the level of Mexico, then I'm against it. If it's used to dismantle Canada's health care system, I'm against it. If it's used to empower the wealthy elite at the expense of the common man, then I'm against it.

A more complete union, for the right reasons, would be a very good thing. I just don't trust this current crew, at least in the United States, with having my best interests at heart.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New You don't wanna trust Stockboy Day, either
You can trust me on that one. He's as out there as they come.

I'm still out on Hillier, but he's been being pretty dumb lately around the question of Afghan detainees; he doesn't seem to grok why it matters what happens to the people we capture (hello, Geneva, hello, speaking... hello?!?).

The harmonization of food and drug standards doesn't seem like that huge a deal, unless it's about bovine growth hormone becoming legal in Canada.

I'm with you on this; the idea of more cooperation isn't bad. The idea of Fortress North America is, and when that meeting was reported up here (which it was at the time) it was mostly seen as a forum for people to argue for that. One notable example was the Council of Canadian CEOs, who were arguing for much greater integration of our economies.

When they say they want something, most Canadians assume (rightly, IMhO; see Boxley, Boxlish etc re: Canadian business people) that it will be bad for them.
New No, it will be worse
The EU central government has it's problems. Too much power in the hands of political appointee bureaucrats and too much obscure procedure. But they are accountable to the individual governments and to the public. And the countries involved joined openly and freely.

The goal of the North American integration movement seems to be to avoid the 'problem' of public accountability and national authority. These are the people who admire the WTO's more or less secret court system, which in theory has the power to overturn the national laws of member states if they are contrary to business interests.

As far as I can tell, what they really trying to do is create a government where the only citizens are big corporations. One that will have access to American capital, Mexican labor and Canadian resources, without pesky national laws getting in the way.

Jay
New This has been going on for a while
[link|http://spp.gov/|http://spp.gov/]
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 51 years. meep

reach me at [link|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net|mailto:bill.oxley@cox.net]
New No press coverage till Rove goes to a meeting ;-)
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New To find the most rotten stuff, follow the buzzard

I4 NOW!

Impeach, Indict, Incarcerate, Inject
Bush, Cheney, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Rove, Rice
     US integration meeting uncovered - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
         What evil. Just like the EU. -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
             I'm not against integration per se... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 You don't wanna trust Stockboy Day, either - (jake123)
             No, it will be worse - (JayMehaffey)
         This has been going on for a while - (boxley) - (2)
             No press coverage till Rove goes to a meeting ;-) -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                 To find the most rotten stuff, follow the buzzard -NT - (tuberculosis)

Courage is your greatest present need.
43 ms