[link|http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6469765,00.html|Guardian UK]
A videotape showing Pentagon officials' final interrogation of al-Qaida suspect Jose Padilla is missing, raising questions about whether federal prosecutors have lost other recordings and evidence in the case.

Authorities made 88 video recordings of Padilla being interrogated during the 3 years he was held at the brig as an ``enemy combatant,'' officials said. Eighty-seven tapes have been given to the defense, leaving only the last session unaccounted for.

``I don't know what happened to it,'' Pentagon attorney James Schmidli said during a recent court hearing.

U.S. District Judge Marcia Cooke was incredulous that anything connected to such a high-profile defendant could be lost.

``Do you understand how it might be difficult for me to understand that a tape related to this particular individual just got mislaid?'' Cooke told prosecutors at a hearing last month.

After rumors of government misconduct, the key tape has gone missing.

Normally I would say this is a big deal. But with the other scandals brewing around the Bush administration this one might be lost. Padilla is a minor side show at this point.

Jay