IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ode to the Boss that Got Away
I have alluded times past here to my brain-dead employer (and I intend the modifier in the nicest possible sense), an institutionally staid outfit that has been doing business in San Francisco almost since the place was a village, and on whose payroll I have been (starting literally in the mailroom) since I was but a downy-cheeked boy. I am here today to pay belated tribute to my former boss, "JP," who arrived here four years ago from our New York office in connection with a restructuring (actually it was what amounted to a hostile takeover, and even though the brain-dead employer was the pitcher and not the catcher, the transition was, ah, particularly fraught for an operation like my little graphics skunkworks), taking over from a predecessor whose seven-year regime I barely survived.

I was plucked out of our "International Division" and set up with a little graphics studio almost twenty years ago, by a boss now retired who wielded enormous influence throughout the BDE—he was a networker of genius—and who continued to maintain me under his political protection after he was promoted in 1995, His successor and I initially found one another a bit off-putting, but over seven years working with one another our feelings ripened into detestation on her side and fear and hatred on mine. I count myself fortunate that she was as lazy and disorganized as she was vindictive, because she waited until the eve of her own retirement (my patron having preceded her) to move against me, and the two acting chiefs who ran the joint during the interregnum were both kindly disposed.

So JP arrived at the end of 2002, just before the big merger, and I was a bit worried that some git from the East Coast—for as long as I've worked here, and as far as I can tell for several decades before that, the top man has traditionally been someone with San Francisco roots; even the late 90s Boss-from-Hell got her start here in the early 70s, although she'd been running one of the European offices for some years prior to her return—would not understand why San Francisco should have the only in-house graphics section outside of the Mothership. Nae fear, as it turned out. His response was: "Cool! I can use an art department." And so he did.

Unlike his two predecessors JP never actually connected with the workforce here, although I gather he was well-loved in New York. It was cultural, I think: he was a New Yorker's New Yorker, brash and brusque and blunt, and I think most of my colleagues found him alien and off-putting from his accent on. His senior staff came to like him very much, and a providential remark by one of them established between us a common admiration for European cinema within a fifteen-year radius of 1955. We were reasonably close in age: he left college three months before I began it, and we had plenty of cultural referents in common. One doesn't discuss this in a professional context, of course, particularly not up the food chain, but I'm confident that had our paths crossed in 1970 we might well have shared a relaxing doobie together.

After his appalling predecessor I had high old hopes for JP, and was dismayed to watch his health visibly decline after he arrived to take up our Northern California headquarters. He was a big man—not fat, but large-boned and about 6' 5"—who dressed very stylishly; during his tenure he gradually shrank, so that his tailored suits hung on his frame. I never knew the nature of his ailment, but I have the impression it was cardiac-related. After three years he gave up and retired last March, moving back to the Right Coast. We spoke a couple of times after that, and he provided me with some advice that came in very handy in positioning myself during his succession struggle.

On Saturday JP fell in his home, striking a table on his way to the floor and snapping his neck, paralyzing him at points south. My informants tell me that he was lucid until yesterday morning, whereupon he declined swiftly and died last night. I've never worked for someone I liked so much, and bitterly regret that I didn't send the Christmas card I'd intended. He was 58, and a good guy. As you all know, good bosses are rare as visible comets. I drink this evening to JP's memory.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Sorry to hear
Hope the new boss is the same as the old boss.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
New :-)
New Condolences. That was beautiful.
New On your judgement
I broke out my Glenmorangie 15 - and raised a toast to him. If you speak highly of him, that's good enough for me!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Extending my condolences

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New You certainly are right about how few bosses are missed!
Sorry your feeling the loss a good one.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Know the feeling through a fun-house mirror
The only former boss I ever know to have died elicited as nearly opposite a reaction as I can imagine.
===

Kip Hawley is still an idiot.

===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Oh, I had one of those...
He was actually #2 in SF (back when I was in the international branch), and in 1987 I had got myself in such an exceptionally bad odor with him that when the graphics gig was offered, even though I could see that it would sidetrack my career, I jumped at it. When #2 died eight years later I asked a colleague "Will they bother with a funeral, or just pound a stake into his heart?" and another coworker suggested a variation on the military funeral, with the honor guard firing into the open grave.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Ditto.
Went to a former boss's funeral just to see for my own eyes that the sumbitch was dead.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New To JP
as I sip a bit of Cruzan
New here, here. Sam Adams, in my case.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Belated condolences
Must have missed this, just before the sabbatical.

How fortunate to have run into one of the outliers, amidst all those Sons of Ayn..
(Whenever I thought of the idea - 'a career', the word association was always that of a car, 'careering out of control'.)

With the Ancien Regime gone, let us hope that the momentum garnered by your past creations, shall continue to make the door to your small corner veritably invisible to the Efficiency-seeking marauding masses.

Shall raise a glass of Czechvar in toast to one so rare as to become: a genuinely 'missed' Boss.

Ashton

Ode to the Boss that Got Away - (rcareaga) - (12)
         Sorry to hear - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Condolences. That was beautiful. -NT - (Another Scott)
         On your judgement - (imric)
         Extending my condolences -NT - (Nightowl)
         You certainly are right about how few bosses are missed! - (a6l6e6x)
         Know the feeling through a fun-house mirror - (drewk) - (2)
             Oh, I had one of those... - (rcareaga)
             Ditto. - (Steve Lowe)
         To JP - (crazy) - (1)
             here, here. Sam Adams, in my case. -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         Belated condolences - (Ashton)

She's like a little piece of shrapnel inextricably lodged in the body politic.
59 ms