IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Metabolic rate usually refers to . . .
. . the rate at which energy is consumed. In other words, if your metabolic rate decreases you can get fat on less food because you're not burning it as fast.

"Simple sugars" are sugars that can't be broken down into even simpler sugars. The stuff in the sugar bowl is an example. That probably doesn't help a lot.

Ratio of fat to lean is simple. Say two guys the same height each have 30 pounds of fat, but one of 'em is an athlete with plenty of muscle tissue and the other guy is a scrawny couch potato. The athlete has a much better ratio.

I'm not going to make any attempt to guess what they mean by maximum heart rate.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Thanks, more info. :)
The whole phrase regarding maximum heart rate is as follows:

"Exercise at 85 percent of the maximum heart rate (to be most effective)."

Maybe that can help.

John thought maybe an example of a simple sugar was syrup? I sort of understand what you are saying, that sugar cubes, for example, can't be broken down more, but I'm not sure what else is in that class, and it suggests cutting down on intake of simple sugars to help.

I'm trying to determine if a decreased metabolic rate is what is causing my waist to gain inches even if it isn't gaining pounds (which it isn't). And this article explains it as a metabolic process, so I'm trying to understand what that process is and if I can do anything about it if it has decreased.

The article explains that the "ratio of fat to lean tissue shifts and the fat storage starts favoring the upper body over the hips and thighs, and even women who don't actually gain weight may still gain inches at the hips."

So if I can change anything about my diet to help it out, or figure out what they mean about exercising at a percent of your heart rate, I would like to try.

Thanks!

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Jan. 3, 2007, 02:13:54 AM EST
New Wikipedia is your friend.
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_sugar|Simple sugar]

Monosaccharides are the simplest form of carbohydrates. They consist of one sugar and are usually colorless, water-soluble, crystalline solids. Some monosaccharides have a sweet taste. Examples of monosaccharides include glucose (dextrose), fructose, galactose, and ribose. Monosaccharides are the building blocks of disaccharides like sucrose (common sugar) and polysaccharides (such as cellulose and starch). Further, each carbon atom that supports a hydroxyl group (except for the first and last) is chiral, giving rise to a number of isomeric forms all with the same chemical formula. For instance, galactose and glucose are both aldohexoses, but they have different chemical and physical properties.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
[link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] · [link|http://yceran.org/|website]
New Hmmm
I still don't know how to apply all those terms to things I actually eat. But I guess it's a start.

Since syrup isn't coloress it must not be a simple sugar then. That's about the most sugary thing I eat regularly.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New double post - ignore.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Jan. 3, 2007, 10:45:54 PM EST
     Questions about metabolism - (Nightowl) - (12)
         Metabolic rate usually refers to . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Thanks, more info. :) - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 Wikipedia is your friend. - (static) - (2)
                     Hmmm - (Nightowl)
                     double post - ignore. -NT - (Nightowl)
         slowing metabolism in older women/men means the following - (boxley) - (4)
             Hmm... Actually, isn't it the other way around? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 Actually not. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Actually yes. - (CRConrad)
                 I'm not sure it's at all that simple. - (static)
         Consider this... - (dmcarls) - (1)
             Oops, I didn't explain enough I guess - (Nightowl)

I promise you that if I am compelled to turn to the Dark Side on this issue you will come to yearn for the suave ripostes of CRConrad.
46 ms