IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mary Jo talks to Jeremy about the Novell deal, etc.
[link|http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=179|Mary Jo Foley's Blog] at ZDNet (via LinuxToday):

The GPLv3 will fix any possible hole in the letter of the license (and Samba will hopefully move to it once the copyright contributors are happy with it). But in the meantime I don't want to give my efforts to a company that is willing to try and trick their way out of their license obligations on my software. When I talked to the Novell Executives we just had to agree to disagree. In part, I see this deal as a personal failure on my part.

When I first heard that Microsoft was going to take Linux seriously by doing an agreement with Novell I was delighted. But the more I looked at the details the more unhappy I got with the patent part. I tried to raise the alarm internally but was too timid with my criticisms until it was too late and the deal was signed (I heard about it about 5 days before it was signed). A nagging doubt is that if I had just spoken out louder against the deal I might have been able to change something, but I was too quiet until too late. It's *hard* to be the one saying the emperor has no clothes, especially whilst listening to others praising the finery of the silk stitching :-) .

Cheers,
Scott.
New The commenting software on that blog sucks even worse
than haloscan.

Nice to see that Allison gets it, though.
     Mary Jo talks to Jeremy about the Novell deal, etc. - (Another Scott) - (1)
         The commenting software on that blog sucks even worse - (jake123)

Better than an iron-shod boot to the head!
129 ms