IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Think of it as an opportunity
Wake up this monring to a NO SYNC on my primary Linux box's monitor.

WTF?

This is an AMD K8 running mepis for a couple of years.
Woefully out of date.

Reboot panics on attempt to mound primary root partition.

Ruh-Roh.

Go to Windows box, download the latest knoppix.
Reboot using knoppix and it is happy.
I can get to data just fine (backups? What are they?)
Whew.

Well, I've been wanting to move to Kubuntu Edgy.
I just need a new disk to install to.

Off to Comp-USA.
320GB for $130. Another $30 back on rebate if I get around to it.

Fine.

Download Kubuntu.

Slap the new disk in - it will be the 3rd SATA disk in the box, but it has a MB RAID controller in it that does not mind a single disk.

Futz with the BIOS to make the single disk raid the primary disk.

Boot Ubuntu, start the install, decide to deal with the disk partitioning in a manual setup.

Geez, after creating a partition table it only says 298GB. Bastard.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe.

Oh the days of the 20MB hard disk are LONG gone.
New Kubuntu Edgy's pretty good.
I installed it on my Fujitsu P7120D laptop this week (I'm using it now). The latest MEPIS wouldn't install - which surprised me since I thought MEPIS was supposed to be based on Edgy now (maybe Warren's customizations are lagging a bit). Kubuntu Edgy's install went very well once I used BootitNG to shrink the NTFS partition about 10 GB for Linux (Edgy's installer seemed to hang on trying to shrink the partition).

I need to do some work to get the [link|http://www.linlap.com/tiki-index.php?page=Fujitsu+Lifebook+P7120|full resolution on the display], but that's a minor thing.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Could the difference in GB be...
...The fact that drive manufacturers use units of 1000 to measure a KB, and the software you're using considers 1024 to be a KB?
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Good point
Probably
New I really upset a guy in Capacity Planning some years ago.
I insisted he take the different into account. It was, unfortunately, the only way to prevent management complaining that what they bought wasn't what they got.

He was used to working on the mainframe where he never encountered this difference. However, HP's and Seagate's idea of 4Gb disks didn't quite match up to HP-UX's idea of a 4GB disk. It was the 1000/1024 multiplier difference.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
[link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] · [link|http://yceran.org/|website]
     Think of it as an opportunity - (crazy) - (4)
         Kubuntu Edgy's pretty good. - (Another Scott)
         Could the difference in GB be... - (Yendor) - (2)
             Good point - (crazy) - (1)
                 I really upset a guy in Capacity Planning some years ago. - (static)

I'm trying to figure out what the proportion of "friendliness" to "menace" is in that post.
43 ms