IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm hadn't thought of that
If a USB device tries to draw more power than the port can provide, you'd see the sorts of problems you're seeing. It's because the extra current lowers the voltage and that creates problems as the device is sort-of powered and can't communicate coherently to the controller. That tends to make controllers upset and upset hardware combined with the typical writing standard of Windows drivers usually results in an upset Windows.

I'd try the camera with it's external power connected. I'd also try it in all the USB ports, including the ones on the back. It may be a problem with one or two; it may be a problem with the USB controller on the motherboard in general. If it seems isolated to the ones on the front (say), then I'd probably run an extension lead from a socket on the back. In fact, I'd probably find a powered hub (but still connect it to the back). A powered hub may be just as likely to fix the problem, anyway, even if none of the USB ports like your camera, either.

That's something I hadn't thought of. However, it explains the camera, but does it explain the flash drive? Flash drives don't use a lot of power do they? But I'll tell John, as we are still researching the problem. It's nice to have a quick fix for the camera, (which we managed to find yesterday), but some day we might need to fix the whole problem. :)

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New It could explain the flash drive.
That's something I hadn't thought of. However, it explains the camera, but does it explain the flash drive? Flash drives don't use a lot of power do they? But I'll tell John, as we are still researching the problem. It's nice to have a quick fix for the camera, (which we managed to find yesterday), but some day we might need to fix the whole problem. :)

Flash drives don't have to be low power because they're not battery operated. In fact, the faster ones probably do draw more power.

Also, flash technology uses much more power to write than to read. I have an old CF card in an adapter I use as a flash drive. It gets noticeably warmer when I write to it.

Wade.
"Don't give up!"
[link|http://staticsan.livejournal.com/|blog] · [link|http://yceran.org/|website]
New Thanks for that explanation!
I told John, and we'll keep it in mind if we decide to try and fix the problem completely. Meanwhile, things are working well enough with the solution we found, so it won't be something we'll spend much money on for awhile. :)

I had no idea those little tiny flash drives could use a lot of power. I wonder why my PDA doesn't have the problem, though. Maybe because I try to keep it charged up whenever he's syncing.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
     Problem with the USB ports - (Nightowl) - (7)
         Radio Shack to the rescue! - (Nightowl) - (2)
             USB typically either works or doesn't. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 That's what we're finding too - (Nightowl)
         Sounds like a power thing. - (static) - (3)
             Hmmm hadn't thought of that - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 It could explain the flash drive. - (static) - (1)
                     Thanks for that explanation! - (Nightowl)

Billion people harvest on Mars.
34 ms