IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm not an Acura fan
or Honda fan, although the RSX is very nice looking - and going out of production. Acura is trying to move upscale, which I think is a mistake, especially because they do not have any V-8s. The S2000 is OK, most Hondas are boring, and the Element and Ridgeline are very ugly.

Many of the Chinese auto companies have ties to regional governments, so if the government has the money, they have a lot of staying power (apparently the provincial governments are quite powerful in China). One company just spent about $1 billion improving their plant with imported equipment. And they realize that just functional doesn't cut it in Europe or the US (one big problem is workers' "iron rice bowl" mentality - in the past in China, nobody ever got fired).

The biggest Chinese car companies have volumes of about 200,000 cars/year, but some have bigger volumes in joint ventures with non-Chinese auto makers. My guess is that the companies with joint venture experience will do better outside of China.

I suspect the US will go into recession or little growth soon (based on housing blowing up), and it'll probably affect China, too.

Anyway, cars are a very personal thing. For example, I don't like to work on cars or spend a lot of money on maintenance. If I did do my own work, I'd be much more likely to consider BMW or Audi.

BTW, the 240SX in Japanese form is called the Silvia, and was used quite a bit as a stock car racer with souped up engines. I've seen a 240SX on the road with a "Silvia" badge, but I'm not sure it's real. After all, I've seen a Mercedes with a "AMG CLK 500" badge, which isn't real (the AMG model is CLK55).

--Tony
New On Acura and Honda. (new thread)
Created as new thread #275404 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=275404|On Acura and Honda.]
     'What's wrong with our food?' - (Ashton) - (30)
         I disagree with his last statement - (tuberculosis) - (29)
             Easy to support - (admin) - (27)
                 I do whenever possible - (tuberculosis) - (26)
                     We belong to a co-op. - (admin) - (1)
                         Much of your winter produce comes from . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Labelling in the UK - (pwhysall) - (23)
                         Linkies? - (Another Scott) - (20)
                             Carbon Footprints. - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                 Thanks. The CNW report has problems... 41 kB img. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                     Prius lifetime - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                         Most non-US Cars - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                             US cars outside the US... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                 US market is very competitive - (tonytib) - (3)
                                                     Much agreement. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         I'm not an Acura fan - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                             On Acura and Honda. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                                             238k on the ford van, still runs, expensive to buy gas for - (boxley)
                                             I dunno about that anymore. - (Steve Lowe)
                                 No need to edit. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Re: No need to edit. - (pwhysall)
                             More on Prius economy - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                 Diesels are hot in the US right now. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     That's changed, then - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         You need to get out more. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Almost bought a Golf TDI - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                 :-) Good choice. Keep warm! -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         detest all american built crap diesels maybe, diesels no -NT - (boxley)
                         I would imagine baby corn . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             It's flown here, then trucked from the airport. - (pwhysall)
             He's trying not to scare people (as much) - (drewk)

Somewhere out there, a Big Cheetah is still running WordStar and extremely anal benchmarks...
55 ms