IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In case you haven't noticed us on CNN...
St. Louis was hit with a major ice storm last night. It left half an inch to an inch of ice on everything, ground, trees, wires, etc. Then it snowed a good 6 or more inches on top of that.

We lost power at around midnight last night, a transformer exploded not too far away. We got power back a little after 7 p.m. today, but I'm not trusting it to hold all night (although I'm crossing my fingers a lot).

After a feeble attempt to keep the bird warm with the gas fireplace (John didn't go to work because no one answered there), we moved him twice to locations that had heat, and now he's in the second one for the evening. That helped me focus on the crisis of keeping pipes from freezing, handling anything mom and dad needed, etc.

It's supposed to get down to 11-12 degrees tonight, and even though our power came back on, there are still over 300,000 people without power. It had been half a million, so they are making progress...however the whole mess will refreeze overnight and they expect more transformers to blow and more trees to come down.

That's twice this year our city has made the news on CNN.... it'd be nice to find a better way to do it.

Anyway, I'm requesting prayers for all the people stuck without power tonight in this frigid weather(including my mom and dad who won't go somewhere warm no matter how hard we tried), and also for those who have it (including us now) to keep it and not lose it again tonight.

And I have a dumb question, but don't know what I'd google to search out the answer. Why would ice on a transformer make it explode?

Thanks,

Brenda

(Slowly thawing out in St. Louis)

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 1, 2006, 11:38:46 PM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 1, 2006, 11:39:34 PM EST
New Hang in there. Keep warm.
Electrical transformers are devices that have very high power densities. When something goes wrong with them (a short circuit (say caused by tree branches); a hole that allows water to get in; a rapid change in the current that causes them to overheat), they can fail catastrophically.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Transformers
Many transformers are cooled by liquid convection, often through a series of pipes and fins on the outside. Should the liquid in those pipes become so cold it no longer circulates the core could overheat and explode.

Transformers generally explode due to overload. In extreme cold there might be a lot of people running extra electric heaters. Ice loading and wind can bring wires down causing shorts and overloading transformers.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Update and thanks!
Thanks for explaining about the transformers. I had no idea they were so sensitive or complex. :)

There are still 318, 928 customers without power tonight, and the low is supposed to be 9 degrees above zero. Mom and Dad got their power back yesterday but my brother and his wife didn't, and they are spending the night at mom's tonight. Can't say I blame them!

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
     In case you haven't noticed us on CNN... - (Nightowl) - (3)
         Hang in there. Keep warm. - (Another Scott)
         Transformers - (Andrew Grygus)
         Update and thanks! - (Nightowl)

I'm a Mog! Half man, half dog -- I'm my own best friend!
136 ms