Well, or something similar. It sprung a sudden huge oil leak (stupid me didn't notice because I was in my "depression" at the time, and then threw a rod. (I'm not sure if threw a rod and seized are interchangeable, but they said both things when it happened at the mechanics).

A friend replaced my entire engine for $1,500 but he did it very cheaply.

I hope you make the best decision, either another engine or a new car.

In an ironic twist too, Admin, I was also planning to get my hair cut the next day.... car was in the shop from Saturday to today, so I still haven't gotten my haircut yet! ;)

It's odd that you started this thread, one of the things going on with us is car issues also. Started with John's 2002 Grand AM GT, had a small coolant leak. Small coolant leak turns out to be a BAD BAD thing, because it's the Lower Intake Gasket that is leaking. Turns out the coolant is burning itself off on the hot engine, hence we didn't notice the leak much. However, if the gasket fails or the leak gets much worse, the coolant will leak into the oil chamber and well... goodbye engine.

Quote was $900+ to fix it, (I don't remember the rest of the dollars and cents), and we about flipped! This would be two cars dying in my car's lifetime that John's owned!

Didn't have the $900.00 right now, hoping to secure it by 1st of November, praying the car will make it till then. They told us to watch for milky looking oil, and check the oil every 3 days or so. I'm still boggled by the whole thing.

To make matters worse, my car started making horrid grinding noises when stopping. Took it in the same day after they checked out his, and left it. Needed front brake shoes to the tune of $139.00 or so. I understand one car but both at the same time? Ack!

Anyway, we're hoping to get the Grand AM repaired and not suddenly be finding ourselves in the new car market. Best part is the mechanic assures us the new gasket is a better design than the old dealer designed one.

Just praying the car holds together that long....

Brenda