IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There was no last one.
This so called act is the response to the court tellinghte Resident he couldn't do all this stuff because Congress hadn't authorized it. Now that Congress has authorized the executive gutting of the Constitution to "protect" us, do you actually think that Roberts, Scalia, his faithful lapdog Clarence, and "Scalito" are going to slap His Chimpness's other cheek and find such Congressional authorization unconstitutional?

I do want some of what you're smoking, Bill...
jb4
"When the final history is written in Iraq, [link|http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmate/2006/tmate060926.gif|it'll look just like a comma.]"
George W. Bush, 24 Sep 06
New There have been several rulings
from this Court striking down aspects of these programs. I'm simply saying that the process is not over until the SC rules constitutionality...and if these violations are as aggregious as all think, there should be no reason they don't rule the same way again.

But, if you really want some, stop over ;-)
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Next trip to Joisey...I'm there!
Unfortunately (for both of us), I don't have a reason to go there very often.... :-(
jb4
"When the final history is written in Iraq, [link|http://images.ucomics.com/comics/tmate/2006/tmate060926.gif|it'll look just like a comma.]"
George W. Bush, 24 Sep 06
New It'll only happen after he has a senator tortured to death.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New The Habeas Corpus stuff should be struck down.
I don't know about the rest, and I don't know how forcefully the Justices will take the pretty-clear [link|http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=000&invol=03-6696|language of the Constitution] (from the Hamdan decision):

Though they reach radically different conclusions on the process that ought to attend the present proceeding, the parties begin on common ground. All agree that, absent suspension, the writ of habeas corpus remains available to every individual detained within the United States. U. S. Const., Art. I, \ufffd9, cl. 2 ("The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it"). Only in the rarest of circumstances has Congress seen fit to suspend the writ. See, e.g., Act of Mar. 3, 1863, ch. 81, \ufffd1, 12 Stat. 755; Act of April 20, 1871, ch. 22, \ufffd4, 17 Stat. 14. At all other times, it has remained a critical check on the Executive, ensuring that it does not detain individuals except in accordance with law. See INS v. St. Cyr, 533 U. S. 289, 301 (2001). All agree suspension of the writ has not occurred here. Thus, it is undisputed that Hamdi was properly before an Article III court to challenge his detention under 28 U. S. C. \ufffd2241. Brief for Respondents 12. Further, all agree that \ufffd2241 and its companion provisions provide at least a skeletal outline of the procedures to be afforded a petitioner in federal habeas review. Most notably, \ufffd2243 provides that "the person detained may, under oath, deny any of the facts set forth in the return or allege any other material facts," and \ufffd2246 allows the taking of evidence in habeas proceedings by deposition, affidavit, or interrogatories.

The simple outline of \ufffd2241 makes clear both that Congress envisioned that habeas petitioners would have some opportunity to present and rebut facts and that courts in cases like this retain some ability to vary the ways in which they do so as mandated by due process. The Government recognizes the basic procedural protections required by the habeas statute, Id., at 37-38, but asks us to hold that, given both the flexibility of the habeas mechanism and the circumstances presented in this case, the presentation of the Mobbs Declaration to the habeas court completed the required factual development. It suggests two separate reasons for its position that no further process is due.

[...]

I don't think a blanket suspension of the Priviledge is warranted here, and the USSC should strike it down because of that. I don't think the Court will quickly reverse itself on that point either.

Cheers,
Scott.
     RIP USA - (tuberculosis) - (6)
         Courts aren't through with it yet. - (bepatient) - (5)
             There was no last one. - (jb4) - (4)
                 There have been several rulings - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Next trip to Joisey...I'm there! - (jb4)
                     It'll only happen after he has a senator tortured to death. -NT - (imric)
                 The Habeas Corpus stuff should be struck down. - (Another Scott)

Any more detail than what's there and you'd have to have the magic software they use in movies to pull a license plate out of five pixels.
41 ms