IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anyone catch NPR this AM on Japanese psyche (and psyche?)
Pithy.. if at all accurate.

Since several here have fixations on the er, ummm schoolteaching scene, anime and other kewl inexplicable tics and habits of the joint..

(Finally.. got straight a phrase I misremembered, and which appeared seminal in a particular Japanese exchange; thought it was ~ 'nigata ga nai'. Nobody had anything but Huh?! for that one) It was [phonetically]

Shigata ga nai
It. Can't. Be. Helped.

Surely the simplest very-definition of resignation.
And that was the overall social situation depicted by the {name uncaught} guest.

One other quip re the angst (simultaneously with noting the absence of any psych vocabulary which might interpret such words) was another gem: it was suggested by one Sage that, most-all Japanese need to become acquanted with the thought..

There is something called a "Choice" (to be made) and
Responsibility (for the consequence of choice.)

I, of course have no basis for an opinion re above -- just reporting the Interesting assertions, mostly confirmed by callers-in with some, to many years experience living there.

Anent the absence of a 'psych' vocabulary - indeed, absence of -iatrists:
it seems there is little acknowledgment of what 'depression' -TheWord- might connote, let alone the possibility -?-that the whole fucking culture just may have been Living That - ever since having their US investments eaten by Trump-grade Kapitalistichiskaya sharks, back in the early '90s.
Response to those losses, still being paid-off? Stoically, Of Course -

Shigata ga nai.

[I'd have thought closer to those fleecings: gehabt kindern!]

Comments on the suicides among students
("We didn't know little Hari was so sad..")
- who, it seems are sometimes: 4-5 strangers who meet VIRTUALLY, on IM {*cough* *hack* *cough*} -- drive somewhere 'together'-- and light a charcoal briquette.

Appears to be a living "I no verbs" acting out (and even "I no nouns"?) like
angst, existential non-hope; an absence of any 'spiritual' model around which to hang one's id, ego or even super- while watching {passively/politely} the parade go by.

Ah well, no more Fucked-up than Manic Consumerism here - and a damnsight less dangerous to the rest of the world.. just a variant of the Void within every shopper who waits outside in the snow overnight - to score a Sale; pays on the remaining un-maxxed-out CC, then puts the swag with the unopened 50 pairs of shoes and 8 battery-operated DVD players .. in the closet. (Or in the newly purchased 'storage organizer' set -- in the 3 car garage, now down to ~1-car-width between boxes.)

So then - it isn't just-US driving selves crazy! {whew?}
At least, having no ambition for 'choices' - they aren't trying to Rule the World nor fantasizing about Arma Geddin It On fer Gawd and Just Plain Goodness. Thanks, Japan - for That!

Seems no one on that fantasy island Ever says to an acquaintance, passing on street:

You're fine.. how am I?
New I wouldn't call it a "fantasy island"...
Quite frankly, Japan is fucked up in ways that would leave a post-doc psych major squealing with glee. Of course, so is the United States, but it's always fun to look at somebody else and laugh at their problems, from a safe distance, of course. ;)

Seriously, though, there is a large degree of resignation in Japanese culture. Shit happens, and they don't give a shit, especially if it happens to somebody else.
Odoru aho ni miru aho!
Onaji aho nara odoranya son son!
New Re: Shigata ga nai
I had a japanese girl friend a lotta years ago. That phrase stuck in my mind because she translated it as "fucked if you do, fucked if you don't". She spoke english rather well but used japanese phrases on occasion. This was ~thirtymumble years ago so my mind could have warped in the mean time...
     Anyone catch NPR this AM on Japanese psyche (and psyche?) - (Ashton) - (2)
         I wouldn't call it a "fantasy island"... - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Shigata ga nai - (hnick)

Better than an iron-shod boot to the head!
30 ms