IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What sort of motion?
My only exposure to motion control was a bid on a centrifuge system used to mix blood specimens. The thing had to go from still to really fast rpm's in what I considered to be almost an instant and then stop on a dime. The software wouldn't have been too tough but the motor and mechanics of the bid were beyond our reach.

Just wondering what sort of mechanisms that you're attempting to control? I always figure the hardware for such things is much more involved than the software. But then again, you can get a lot of hardware off the shelf these days that's just waiting to be put to some unique use.
New Small DC servo motors
for a variety of reasons:
-- I really like closed loop control (have much more confidence motor did what you told it to, unlike steppers)
-- I have experience with commercial servo controllers and don't like any of them (MEI have been the best so far, but aren't distributed and are pricey, especially their XMP series)
-- I'm interested in precision motion control, and servos provide this (e.g. with 4000 count encoder and 10 pitch lead screw you get 40000 counts / inch or 0.000025" position resolution). I'm planning on doing a general purpose motion controller, but I do have some nice LinTec and THK ball screw stages to play with....but haven't finalized the initial project yet.

BTW, the initial servo amp design is done (but not by me), but needs refinement. And, as far as small goes...well, I'm looking at something in the range of 10 - 15 A at 48 - 80V, which isn't super small (about 5/8th HP to 1 5/8th HP). My current motors, however, are only 40W are so with a 500 line (2000 count) encoder.

Tony
     I still have a job, but - (tonytib) - (5)
         Have you considered teaching? - (tjsinclair) - (4)
             No, I have projects I've been working on - (tonytib) - (2)
                 What sort of motion? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Small DC servo motors - (tonytib)
             Re: Have you considered teaching? - (slugbug)

Hello! Woody! Do you want join in vehement athletics?
69 ms