IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 2 hack solutions
I'm going to assume that you have already looked through all of the properties for this control and there is no other propery (ReadOnly, Active, or such) that will do what you want. Try using javascript to dump all of the properties for you, there may be an undocumented property that does that.

If the object has an onChange event then you can save the current value and reset it on every change when it is "disabled". You could also try using onFocus to prevent the control from every getting focus, but I recall trying that and finding that there was no way to 100% block controls from getting focus. You should be able to reset the color of the control to make it look like it is disabled.

The other solution is to put the control into a div and hide the div when the control is disabled. If you want you can create a disabled version of the control that is normally hidden and show it when you hide the active version to create the apperance of a normal disabled control.

Jay
New No hidden properties
And sorry, but your second suggestion won't work either because I can't disable the control client side in Javascript. Their support says to work with it at the server side, but that's not what I want. I did try changing the background and foreground color to make it look disabled, and guess what? That's right -- I can code it in Javascript, but the control ignores the color changes.

As good as their products are, our VP wants our consultants to get together with us and look into other companies, to see if their support and documentation is better, and if their controls can do the simple things that I'm trying to do.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Your VP has the right idea.
If the controls you 'bought' can't do what you need them to and the vendor isn't any use, then going somewhere else is the way the to go. You might like to tell your existing vendor that you're looking elsewhere and why.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New We definitely purchased the controls
at two licenses at several hundred dollars apiece, which gives us 1 year of technical support via email, opening online trouble tickets, and 4 downloads of upgrades for the whole suite. The company is located in eastern Europe; they do not do support by phone.

The purchase was recommended by our consultants who, while they like the products functionality, have to actually code using them and thus run into the kinds of problems I'm facing.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
     Disabling 3rd party controls - (lincoln) - (15)
         2 hack solutions - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             No hidden properties - (lincoln) - (2)
                 Your VP has the right idea. - (static) - (1)
                     We definitely purchased the controls - (lincoln)
         aspx control != html "control" - (altmann) - (10)
             here's the html for the control - (lincoln) - (9)
                 That's not the html... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                     Forgive me - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Problem was that the code you wrote to disable... - (ChrisR)
                     This is... - (lincoln) - (2)
                         Should be able to do it by hand - (JayMehaffey)
                         The original javascript... - (ChrisR)
                 Would a hearty RTFM be impolite? - (altmann) - (2)
                     Yes - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Works For Me - (altmann)

It squealed like Steve Ballmer on a canoe trip, unexpectedly pressed into entertaining hillbillies.
48 ms