IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I, the jury (overlong)
Interesting five days, now concluded (although, now I see I have gone on at such length, probably not nearly so interesting as to justify this rambling narrative). The defendant was charged with "battery upon a police officer," the alleged battery having occurred when a uniformed Oakland policeman pulled up beside the 46 year-old subject in a rough part of town (my fair city, notwithstanding its evil reputation, actually consists of about a dozen to twenty distinct districts, most of which are not characterized by crack houses and drive-by shootings and several of which are fashionable yuppie sanctuaries; this particular neighborhood, though, is one of the grim ones) and, acting on the belief that the pedestrian had purchased cocaine ten minutes earlier and now had it secreted in his mouth, confronted the individual and attempted to retrieve the evidence while its plastic packaging was still sticky with mere saliva rather than with the other thing, and therein hangs our tale that distant late afternoon last winter.

The account presented to the jury was conceptually divisible into two components. In the first, an OPD officer ("K") in an unmarked van observed a drug deal on a north-south street, and reported this by radio to an unmarked police car, manned by another officer ("G") nearby, G being at this point parked around the corner from K one short block north and a considerably longer block east. K described both the dealer, "D" and the purchaser, "X" as they proceeded north from him and completed their transaction, X thereafter turning east on "Maple Street" and passing out of K's sight.

G takes off westbound from his parked position at the other end of Maple Street and tries to find X, and very near the western end of the block catches sight of an individual largely matching K's description of X, heading east along the south side of the street. G at this point radios his own description of X to the next officer, "M" (the uniformed guy designated to make the arrest at some distance from the surveillance area, so as not to tip the retailers that they're under observation) and continues past the presumed X and makes a U-turn at the end of the block in that same north-south street on which K first saw the deal go down.

G, who has briefly lost sight of X while reversing direction at the intersection, is now a bit surprised (we the jury intimate) not to see him on his right at the western end of the block, and proceeds east to the end of the block where—thank goodness!—he reacquires X heading north on "Elm Street." Or does he?

K's described a black man dressed in (I'm going to modify a few details throughout, but the discrepancies will be analogous) a black baseball cap, black leather jacket, light blue jeans and white tennis shoes with a distinctive logo. In his first ID, at the western end of the block before his U-turn, G describes a black man dressed in a "black beanie," black or brown leather jacket, light green jeans, carrying a walking stick, the shoes not being described. This is the first description heard by Officer M.

When G reacquires the presumed buyer at the eastern end of the block, he radios to M a new description: the suspect has a "black beanie," black or brown leather jacket, *red* jeans and a walking stick. In his testimony G avers that while he said "red" on the dispatcher's tape he had actually meant to say "dark green."

G and M are now within sight of one another and of the presumed X, (henceforth "P") and G points to D, indicating to M that this is X.

M follows X/P a couple of blocks north on Elm Street until he judged that this is now a sufficient distance from the surveillance area to make the collar. M now pulls to the curb, stops, exits the car and, by his account, says to P "Can I talk to you for a second?" P, again by M's account, turns, says nothing. M commands P to open his mouth. P "clenches his jaw," turns his back on M and continues north on Elm. M springs forward and places his hands on P's cheeks and chin, attempting to prevent P from "swallowing evidence." M is about six feet tall, 190 pounds, about 27, very fit and muscular. P is about 5' 7", 150 lb, 46, thin. At this point, by M's testimony and the prosecutor's account, P first "pushes" M and then, with his back to M, viciously "batters" M with his elbows. P is quickly subdued and trundled into the police car, and from this point, oddly, the entire issue of possible drug ingestion/possession seems to drop from the OPD consciousness and we are now principally concerned to arrest and punish this vicious police batterer. I might mention that P's trousers in the event were not light blue, or light green, and certainly not red, but rather dark blue, and that his shoes were neither white, nor tennis shoes, nor bearing a logo of any kind. You can see where I'm going with this.

The case, as I say, seemed to divide into these two components: first the original offense observed by Officer K (whose testimony we unanimously found unobjectionable, professional and persuasive), resulting in a description relayed to Officer G (who, in his testimony, confused east with west, left with right, even with odd and, apparently, red with green—did I say "red" on the tape? Well, I meant to say "dark green." That's absolutely what I saw. I don't know why I said red), and the subsequent surveillance of X/P, and second, the encounter of P and M, which lasted about a minute and ended with P handcuffed in the back of a police car.

None of us found G's testimony convincing. We did not think him a liar, but we thought he was very young, and not as yet very good at his work. We thought it likely that he lost sight of the real X when that worthy crossed the street or ambled between houses while G was making his U-turn in the intersection, and we surmised that G's state of mind was approximately "Oh shit, I've fumbled the surveillance"; that he drove to the end of the Maple Street where he caught sight of P (who had just left the home of a relative at the eastern end of Maple Street) heading north on Elm Street, and was sufficiently satisfied by superficial points of resemblance (black man, leather jacket, headwear, walking stick) and relieved to have reacquired the subject, handed P off to Officer M, who followed him for two blocks to their confrontation.

M in his testimony struck most of us as a bit of a hot-dogger—white, probably not yet 30, 6' 1", 200 pounds, shaved head, extrememly fit and muscular, in affect rather intense—but not over the top. We came to believe that he was already ramped up when he approached P, but no one felt that he had any significant reason to believe that P had been misidentified as X.

As we began our deliberation, it took little time for all of us to agree that it was pretty apparent that the police, specifically the hapless Officer G, had blown the "chain of custody" in their surveillance of X. P, we concluded, was not X, and his confrontation with Officer M, who believed himself to be dealing with a man who had purchased a rock of crack ten minutes earlier, almost certainly came as a complete surprise to him. We were also conscious, however, that even though both sides in the case spent more time on this lead-up than on the alleged battery itself, we were not being asked to decide whether P was X (although the prosecution insisted that he was) but rather whether his behavior in the exchange with M constituted the criminal conduct he was charged with. That is, we might conceivably have concluded that P had been properly fingered by G, but that his conduct during his arrest was blameless, or conversely that P was a law-abiding citizen minding his own business when he was mistakenly approached by the police, but that his conduct thereafter crossed the line into criminal. In the event, as I said, nobody doubted that the police had jumped the wrong man, but a number of jurors argued that this was P's tough luck, and that the moment he first resisted M's attempt to physically control him P crossed the line into "battery," which was certainly a plausible reading of the law as it was defined for us (one apparently needs do very little to cross that line: any physical contact in which the civilian is anything but utterly passive can be so construed if the officer doesn't like it).

I'll spare you the six hours of back-and-forth, and tell you that we finally voted to acquit, having broken along the way into three or four technical factions, so that there was no unanimity as to the "why" of the acquittal except insofar as we all agreed that for the prosecution to prevail, all three of conditions 1, 2 and 3 would have to obtain. We had people who were satisfied that one, two or none of the conditions had been met, but no one thought that all three had. I was particularly intrigued by the issue of whether P had been "lawfully" arrested. We were instructed that for the arrest (and apparently an "arrest" is deemed to have occurred at the first moment an officer lays hands upon one, or upon—I wish I could remember the exact wording—a reasonable perception that one is not at liberty to withdraw from the officer's presence) to be lawful, the officer had to be in possession certain facts known or apparent to him. M collared P in good faith, relying on G's identification of P as X. M believed that P was X. But was this a "fact"? In fact, P was not X. I might be informed, let us say, while chatting up Cardinal Levada, currently the Prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith (we used to get together Sundays to do tequila shooters and watch the Niners on TV back when he was Archbishop of San Francisco), that his predecessor in that office, now His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, was actually raised as a devout Mormon, only converting to Catholicism in his forties. I might believe Archbishop Levada. I might rely on this assurance from the head of the Inquisition, I might even act on this assurance (although really, Bill Levada always did have a pretty twisted sense of humor), but have I ever been in possession of the "fact" of the Pontiff's former affiliation with the LDS? Such a "fact" does not exist. This will sound like hair-splitting, but of course, both sides were inviting us to do a lot of that.

P's attorney (a public defender) painted his client as a solid citizen, a dreamy urban sage and philosopher, more than once referring to him as "this gentle old man." P was 46 at the time of his arrest; I'm guessing that the attorney is 26 at the outside. As I listened to his testimony P struck me as a proud and rather prickly character. M and another witness described P as using foul language and threatening legal action after his arrest. P denied this; none of us believed him. Even had we rejected P's entire account of the altercation and accepted unreservedly M's and the prosecutor's version, though, P's conduct would still have seemed like pretty small beans, and I think all the jurors left the courtroom wondering the same thing: Why on earth did this come to trial in the first place? If every scuffle with an Oakland policeman ended with a jury trial, surely the courts in Alameda County would grind to a halt. If only the most egregious cases of assault upon an officer were brought to trial, and if P's conduct was representative of that class, then Oakland would appear to be blessed with an uncommonly docile lumpenproletariat. As I said to the Assistant D.A. following the trial, it seemed to me as though his masters had asked him to make bricks with very little straw (Lina points out that the young man, also in his twenties, was likely unfamiliar with the idiom, and that I must accordingly have sounded to him like some drooling dotard mumbling inanities). They must have known on the prosecution side how bad G's testimony would sound, and much as he attempted, as an advocate, to persuade us that P was the elusive X, I'm certain that the prosecutor didn't believe it himself. I'm left thinking that there must be some concealed layer of motivation, some internal politics in the police department or the D.A.'s office, to account for the entire undertaking. In any event, I'm grateful not to have been party to a guilty verdict that would have been, in a broader context than as jurors we were permitted to consider, an injustice to the prickly Mr. P.

cordially,

[edit: typo]
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga Sept. 14, 2006, 05:34:17 PM EDT
New Good going
Justice is served
New struggling while being taken under control is at most
interfering with an officer who is preforming his duties, that is as draconian as I could see getting. Problem is Mr P might be considering a lawsuit upon the city, probably why they pressed ahaead with the prosecution instead of dropping the case.

Glad you were available to reason with the rest,

thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New You did a good job.
I was on a jury for a 4 day civil trial a few months ago. It was a wrongful death case related to a traffic accident.

I was thinking that I could deal with a criminal case better than the civil case I had, but reading your account, I'm not sure that it's that much different.

In my civil trial, we in the jury didn't have access to the police report on the accident. We didn't learn if anyone was cited. We didn't get access to a lot of evidence about the accident that might have swayed our opinions. Since it was a civil case, the state had no role other than to insure a fair proceeding, so we only got to see the evidence that the two sides decided to present. It was tempting to second guess the two sides on why they presented X but didn't present Y, but when you're in the room you can only use evidence presented in the court.

We were all pretty much on the same page from the beginning of deliberations, but there was a lot of discussion about the details to make sure we didn't miss anything. We all did our best to weigh the evidence that we had, and talked about the implications of our decisions for both sides. At the end of the process, we voted and we found for the victim's widow.

It was an interesting experience, and made me feel good that my fellow citizens really do take things like this seriously even though there was a lot of grumbling about the time spent waiting around and the time we spent away from work.

About 10 years ago there was a traffic accident in the yard of the house we were renting. A car went around a corner too fast on a wet road and hit a tree. They guy wasn't hurt, but the car and the tree were damaged. The police report about the accident (submitted to the home owners for insurance coverage) had an amazing number of errors. The street name was wrong, the compass directions were wrong, the side of the street was wrong, etc., etc. Recalling that made me unsurprised about what happened in your case. I'm sure it's very common for details like that to be wrong even in important cases where lives and treasure are at stake. It's good that Mr. P. wasn't wrongly convicted in your case.

I think that more of our fellow citizens would have greater respect for the judicial system if they served on juries. I also think it would be nice if the default reaction wasn't to be regarded as a Martian if one doesn't try to get out of it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: I, the jury
Swell that you didn't have to be a party to some weasling un-nice distinctions - as Box deduces, possibly more to do with save-face-space than with mopery of the irascible Mr. P.

(So who Wouldn't become irascible when some stranger wants more than Name Rank S/N, out there in the War on Streets.)

Crack, eh? I gather that the new transistorized meth renders that pretty tame, here in ought-six.

Let us give a silent thanks-motherfuckers to those folks in the Womens' Christian Temperance Union - who got the bitchin methyl benzoyl ecgonine right outta Coke\ufffd, altered the designation of bucolic old opium from recreational --> Sin, then installed The Family to keep us all safe from demon rum, during those Righteous Dry-years -

- all culminating in your day. Rumpole might have had more fun with this ...

-Freedom-

Ah F e e l s It!!
New I'm jealous.
I got called up for Jury Duty a few weeks ago, even got empanelled and the trial began. Unfortunately, one of the witnesses fell ill - the officer of the court said it was the defendant - and the trial had to be aborted. :-(

For the interested, it was a sexual assault trial between a separated wife and husband. We'd heard one detectives evidence and the plaintiff (the wife) was undergoing cross-examination when the trial was aborted. There were enough question marks in court that nearly everyone in the jury was prepared, on the evidence we did see, to believe she set him up.

I'd do Jury Duty again. It was a fascinating, if incomplete experience.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New I found it thoroughly frustrating
as I was on an armed robbery case, we had (pretty poor) video, and one juror who stubbornly refused to convict because one witness said "I'm 99% sure that's the man" and 99 wasn't good enough for her.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
New unclear on the "reasonable doubt" standard
Our kindly, avuncular judge was at some pains to emphasize both that this was a significant bar for the prosecution to clear, and that "reasonable doubt" was distinct and, indeed, at some distance from "beyond the shadow of a doubt."

All of us believed that P had been wrongly jumped by the police, and most of us were, I think, on that basis reluctant to see that official incompetence as it were vindicated by a conviction, but the room explicitly recognized this emotional bias, and worked hard to set it aside. In a way it was almost as though we were conscientiously applying a kind of "reasonable doubt" standard to our reservations about the prosecution's case. I think "the People" got their money's worth from a forceful and articulate advocate, and that the jury gave him a respectful and considered hearing.

Notwithstanding the sundry inconveniences, I found it an edifying five days.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New was the eyewitness the only physical evidence of the
defendants presence at the scene? No fingerprints, hair, fibres? I would also hesitate to convict on only eyewitness testimony unless the defendant was previosly known to the witness. Eyewitnesses are notoriously wrong.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New We had
3 separate eyewitnesses from 2 separate robberies - one a dress shop owner, we only had her verbal testimony - she was the 99% sure woman.

Second 2 were K-mart (or Target or something) clerks, guy robbed film counter - we had some pretty grainy video that looked reasonably like him, wearing a particular style of Rockies T-Shirt. Clerk's testimony, plus same shirt found in trunk of car at time of arrest, and small handgun.

Perp did not testify in his own behalf. We later learned that the "back brace" he seemed to have on under an oversized work shirt was in fact a remote controlled taser belt as he had threatend to kill everyone in the court room including his public defender numerous times. Two different deputies were within arms length with separate remotes. Post failed trial, prosecutor indicated that perp would be heading over the Jefferson County where he is wanted on half a dozen similar escapades and it was hoped they would have better luck with convictions. Naturally, none of this was shared with the jury during the trial so as not to prejudice us against an individual who routinely makes death threats.

Definitely he was guilty.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
     I, the jury (overlong) - (rcareaga) - (9)
         Good going - (broomberg)
         struggling while being taken under control is at most - (boxley)
         You did a good job. - (Another Scott)
         Re: I, the jury - (Ashton)
         I'm jealous. - (static) - (4)
             I found it thoroughly frustrating - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 unclear on the "reasonable doubt" standard - (rcareaga)
                 was the eyewitness the only physical evidence of the - (boxley) - (1)
                     We had - (tuberculosis)

I bet Socrates had a really nice lawn.
46 ms