IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Kitchen Myths.
[link|http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm|Kitchen Myths].

Some interesting stuff there, and I think they're generally right, but s/he doesn't offer pointers to independent authorities.

Via StumbleUpon.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The bit about the lobsters is still open . . .
. . to some question. They have proven to have a much more complex social structure than was formerly thought and whether or not they feel pain is simply not knowable at this time. Whole Foods has discontinued selling live lobsters until the industry can assure them they are not mistreated at any point.

The only other item open to any question is aluminum and Alzheimers. While it probably has no effect, some researchers complain Alzheimers research is in a questionable state right now with a major theory that is very possibly wrong locking out research on others - it's one of those career preservation things - so you make your choice and you take your chances.

Personally, I don't use any aluminum for two reasons. I don't like it, it's dull and too light, and because I cook a lot of acid foods that disolve aluminum. Too much of any metal in the diet is not going to be good for you.

One thing missing from the thickener section, which I intend to get to eventually, it is my impression tapioca flour has less risk of clumping than corn starch if just sprinkled over a recipe when you just need a little thickening. With corn starch it's always produent to mix with cold water first.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New disagree with the baking soda myth
If it works well for stinkfoot it should work well in the fridge, also the olive oil one is off, you go into a commercial kitchen the fryer temp IS set at 375. I prefer gas because I have a relationship in my head that determines correct flame size for a specific dish that I can never co-relate with a electric temp setting.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Me too, Boxley.
I think it works fine in the fridge. And apparently so does everyone else in St. Louis because we couldn't find a single box anywhere Friday evening when everyone finally had their power back.

We finally tracked down one at Kmart yesterday, and it was the last one. But John also needed it to use for making muffins, not just put in the fridge to absorb odors.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New The olive oil one is just incomplete.
375°F is for "Pure Olive Oil" (actually "Pure" varies from about 375°F to 410°F "depending". Olive Pommace oil will go to about 460°F (and costs less). "Virgin Olive Oil" should be kept below 320°F and the flavor will be greatly deminished even at that point.

Of the vegetable oils, Olive Pomace is the most reusable for deep fry, it has a oxidation index of 1.5 - very durable. Canola has an index of 5.5, not at all good while Soybean is 7.0, very bad and Saflower is 7.6, even worse. See my [link|http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/oilchart.html|Oil Chart] for more detail.

Beef tallow is 0.86 which is why fast food places could fry in it for a month, Canola is carcinogenic in a day, unless it's partially hydrogenated which converts it to deadly trans fats. Coconut oil is 0.24, the most durable cooking oil known, but is temparature limited to 350°F. If you use a polyunsaturated oil for frying, never reuse it.

Olive Pommace is excellent for Oriental stir fry and other applications where you don't want any of the virgin olive flavor. Peanut oil is good for that too, but much less durable with an index of 3.7, but for stir fry durability is less important since exposure is short.

Of course, if you really want to incinerate stuff, Avocado oil will go to 520°F and is as low as olive oil in polyunsaturates.

For low temperature frying Coconut and Pure Olive are good. For high temperature I'd stick to Olive Pommace and animal fats. Once again, heart disease and cancer were not big problems in this country until the introduction of trans fats and polyunsaturated oils early in the 20th centruy. I avoid them, myself.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind, this is from my reading of nutritional and scientific information.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Kitchen Myths. - (Another Scott) - (4)
         The bit about the lobsters is still open . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         disagree with the baking soda myth - (boxley) - (2)
             Me too, Boxley. - (Nightowl)
             The olive oil one is just incomplete. - (Andrew Grygus)

Behold the power of cheese.
91 ms