IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looking at this place for colocation:
[link|http://www.waveform.net/colo/|http://www.waveform.net/colo/]

Any comments? Knight is an Antec Performance TX TX1050B, which fits their tower size specs.

The datacenter is actually in the same building I used to work in a few jobs ago. :-) 25 minutes from my house, 22 minutes from work.

$59/mo for rackspace and 1Mbps seems pretty good to me. It would cost that much just for a residential cable connection at that speed.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Looks good.
If it's easy for you, I think it's a prime reason to pick them. Dunno if 1 Mb/s is enough, but presumably if more bandwidth were needed an upgrade would be easy (2 Mb/s is $99/mo).

It looks like a great choice to this part of the peanut gallery.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 1Mbps is 3X what it's going to have tomorrow night :-P
And 1.5X what it would have it I upgraded my Comcast connection.

I could try the 1000G/month option to see how that flies, too. I don't know if that's capped, though, throughput-wise. The highest month we've had in the past year was 9G of transfers for Z (although there are other sites on the machine as well).
Regards,

-scott anderson

New The 1 Mb/s choice looks fine to me.
At the end of that table it says:

Additional IP Address $1.00/month each -- Additional Bandwidth $0.50/Gigabyte

1 Mb/s = 2592 Gb/mo (30 day month). Assuming a B = 10 b (parity, etc.) then that's 259 GB/mo. If we only use 9 GB/mo, then there should be plenty of headroom - unless the other sites on knight use an awful lot more than we do.

The unmetered aspect might be more appealing than the 1000 GB/mo case, but I don't know for sure.

Boxley or broom might have some more insight on this.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Those are naive calculations, though.
Naive meaning simple, of course.

They don't take into account peak usage.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Sure. :-)
Does Z have any logs of peak usage?

The stuff that's easy to find in the stats shows that when Z was being hammered by spam in [link|http://www.iwethey.org/zlogs/usage_200511.html|November] that the peak kB/day was 419642 - 420 MB/day = 4.9 kB/s so still 1 Mb/s should be fine to handle that type of load too.

But that's also a naive calculation. :-) I don't think a factor of 2 is going to make much difference. I'd say try for the $60/mo 1 Mb/s package and we can always make adjustments.

I'm more than willing to be overruled on this though. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who's had about 1/2 a bottle of wine, so wouldn't bet anything on these calculations. :-)
     Looking at this place for colocation: - (admin) - (5)
         Looks good. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             1Mbps is 3X what it's going to have tomorrow night :-P - (admin) - (3)
                 The 1 Mb/s choice looks fine to me. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Those are naive calculations, though. - (admin) - (1)
                         Sure. :-) - (Another Scott)

There are some who call me... Tim.
143 ms