IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question about what you mean by "must read"
When I say, "must read", I mean that you will want to read it.

It seems that when you say "must read" you mean that you want me to read it.

In which case, being a free person, I'd like some context about why it is that you'd like me to read it. In particular I don't know if I'm among the people who you think should read it.

Furthermore the sexual abuse allegations in particular make me suspicious about the book. I happen to know something about sexual abuse, and one of the things that I happen to know is that a lot of people very vocally claim (and sincerely believe) they were sexually abused who weren't. Search for False Memory Syndrome. Of course lots of people actually were abused as well. Without research, I'm not going to judge whether I believe her memories to be reasonable. But I'm also not going to take them at face value. (OK, I just did some research, if [link|http://www.adultfyi.com/read.aspx?ID=12540|http://www.adultfyi....ead.aspx?ID=12540] is accurate then I believe she probably was abused.)

As for "looking up" to Tony Hendra and his ilk, what does that mean? There are lots of people who like aspects of the culture he was part of who do not agree with his decisions and choices. They will probably not get out of this book what you're hoping they will. Similarly there is also lots of crap done by purportedly upstanding people who lots of conservatives admire. Likewise stories about their excesses aren't going to convince conservatives that conservatism is awful.

In any case I suspect that I'm not in the group who you think should read this. I wasn't part of the drug culture, never saw This is Spinal Tap, didn't read the National Lampoon, and frankly had to google the name Tony Hendra to figure out who he was.

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New considering I was well meshed into that culture
have met quite a few folks in that era from Abbie Hoffman in NYC to members of the Manson family in CA (after his arrest) I have no freakin clue who this guy was. However I bet if you asked east coast wannabees like the clintons, tipper, Bush, Rove they will know him well.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New You really do need to get crackin on that memoir, box. :-)
Say it's fiction if you must, but get it on paper.

Cheers,
Scott.
New naw, living on the streets isnt that interesting
Abbie I met in passing around st marks in NYC, we didnt chew down the fat or anything. The Mansonettes were trying to get charlie out, they didnt seem like the crazoids that were locked up and in the beginning it just looked like the man was trying to pin it on the hippies. I spent a few days checking it out, got my ashes hauled then moved on.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     How to cook your daughter - (Arkadiy) - (25)
         ObLRPD - (folkert)
         looks like 2nd hand crap -NT - (boxley) - (21)
             Huh? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (20)
                 I read the review of the book - (boxley) - (19)
                     Errr... - (Arkadiy) - (18)
                         Question about what you mean by "must read" - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             considering I was well meshed into that culture - (boxley) - (2)
                                 You really do need to get crackin on that memoir, box. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     naw, living on the streets isnt that interesting - (boxley)
                         Re: Errr...or - (Ashton) - (13)
                             Fine, fine. - (Arkadiy) - (12)
                                 problem is not society it is the wretched - (boxley)
                                 There's nothing new about this century in those respects. - (Another Scott)
                                 Maybe coarse. - (Ashton) - (9)
                                     Ash, I ve completely lost you - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                         completely lost Ashton? You never had him - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                             The feeling is warmly reciprocated -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                 nichto problemo, kid - (rcareaga)
                                             Seems to me he made a pretty decent attempt - (bepatient)
                                         Lost? Oh well.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             Re: Lost? Oh well.. - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                 slightly OT on one quote - (boxley)
                                                 Sorry Ark, nothing new on the waste front - (Ashton)
         Why is it a "must read" for us? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I am pretty sure that if the father in the book - (Arkadiy)

There might be poisonous gnomes hiding behind the furniture and I can't take that chance.
100 ms