IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Win98/ME IE Fixes and Security Tools.
[link|http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/a_look_at_windows_98mefriendly.html|Brian Krebs at WaPo]:

Windows 98/ME-Friendly Security Tools

Last week, I [link|http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/microsoft_to_end_patches_for_w.html|blogged about Microsoft's plans] this month to end support and security patches for Windows 98 and Windows ME. Given what I heard from a number of users who said they planned to keep using those systems indefinitely, I promised to circle back with a look at which security tools still play nice with them.

[...]

After installing IE 6 and rebooting, I visited Windows Update and -- GAH! -- the browser crashed again.

[...]

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of software titles that appeared to work well with these older systems. I have grouped together the ones I tested under categories below, along with notes about installation or runtime issues. Overall, I'd have to say my testing definitely showed that the free security tools performed better on Windows 98 than did paid or trial versions of retail software.

[...]

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ooohh - maybe they really will, this time.
Passed on. Guess L. shall have to fire up her fast pipe and grab all this stuff onto CD.

(Odds? Isn't this the third time they've set out to 'officially' kill 98?)
Betcha those millions of small bus. who have wisely eschewed XP - are still evading that sucker. Wonder which devil they'll choose. If they dunno about OOffice yet - maybe they deserve Xtra Pain's 512-step rebuild-before-use.

Ah well, best for me to have all this for any future reload, too - in case Puppy Linux soils its kennel before I have my 2nd grade apt-get credentials.

Thanks for heads-up.

Ashton

Win98/ME IE Fixes and Security Tools. - (Another Scott) - (1)
         Ooohh - maybe they really will, this time. - (Ashton)

I never seen a man eat so many chicken wings!
34 ms