. . is a great game. There's just enough luck that a newbie will win a hand now and then and stay interested - but the guy with experience and expertise will alway win in the long run.

The Chinese apparently developed the game from rummy card games they had learned from the hated barbarians.

In the 20s, before the Depression killed off all things exotic, the game was forced on La Vegas and they hated it. The problem was, played at a penny a point most hands would pay a few dollars, but there is a hand called "Catching the Moon from the Bottom of the Sea" which would pay something like $5 million (I don't remember exactly) at a penny a point. This made them veeeeery nervous even though they could find no proof of anyone ever having that hand.

I have a couple of sets of tiles and sticks - not real bone faces but at least real bamboo backs, but I haven't played for many years.

Reject "Catskill Rules" and sets with extra tiles designed to increase the influence of chance and reduce the effect of expertise. Japanese rules are good, and the old American Association rules (similar to the Japanese but with a touch more given to chance).

Mahjong Solitaire is an abomination not to be tolerated - Onan's sin was far less dispicable - it is a social game.

Besides, what could be more delicious, once you realize you cannot win a hand, than to play to make sure nobody else wins either. Savor the dirty looks.