IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New String Theory: Not Even Wrong.
[link|http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArchive/jun2006/notevenwrong.php|NWF Daily News] reprint of a Wall Street Journal article:

That's how mathematician Peter Woit of Columbia University describes string theory. In his book, "Not Even Wrong," published in the U.K. this month and due in the U.S. in September, he calls the theory "a disaster for physics."

A year or two ago, that would have been a fringe opinion, motivated by sour grapes over not sitting at physics' equivalent of the cool kids' table. But now, after two decades in which string theory has been the doyenne of best-seller lists and the dominant paradigm in particle physics, Mr. Woit has company.

"When it comes to extending our knowledge of the laws of nature, we have made no real headway" in 30 years, writes physicist Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo, Canada, in his book, "The Trouble with Physics," also due in September. "It's called hitting the wall."

He blames string theory for this "crisis in particle physics," the branch of physics that tries to explain the most fundamental forces and building blocks of the world.

Someone should make sure DRL has a chance to see this. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Second the suggestion.. Imric?
I suppose it fits the times; as the bad news comes in about survival conditions on that pretty blue marble, first-ever seen: in Earthrise, and as, My God is Bigger focusses attention elsewhere -- why should not Big Science mistake meta- for -physics, too? Easy really: just pick a metaphor so removed from experiment that, you can reconcile pretty-much any sticky-bits extant. Viola! - convergence.

(We're Uniters not Dividers here. cha cha cha)

Hell, if even moi could see that way-back.. WTF were these guys Thinking? (Besides virtual-cosmology?)
Terry Pratchett would have made it much more convincing.

oTpy un

Expand Edited by Ashton June 24, 2006, 05:11:22 AM EDT
New I sent out a story on that on my science list -
He's on it...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New I thought String Theory was abandoned long ago...
...in favour of the GRR - no other theory can explain the presence of all those LRPDs.

I can't recall DRLs take on ST? Pro or Con?
New Guess. ;-)
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=123412|#123412].

Scroll down to the end of his quoted passage. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     String Theory: Not Even Wrong. - (Another Scott) - (4)
         Second the suggestion.. Imric? - (Ashton) - (1)
             I sent out a story on that on my science list - - (imric)
         I thought String Theory was abandoned long ago... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Guess. ;-) - (Another Scott)

Desperate, but not serious.
170 ms