IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Comment in Jobs forum about Oracle dropping their C libs?
Todd made [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=25470|this comment] in the Jobs forum about Oracle dropping C libraries:

This is an oracle db?

Did you know Oracle keeps saying they are dropping support for C libs and only want to support JDBC client libs going forward? Would this screw you up?

To drop this thread into a more proper place, does anyone have any links, press releases, information that would verify it?
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New I'll see what I can find out at work tomorrow.
(Or possibly next week.)

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Naah - at least, not according to the guy I talked to.
One of the guys on the developer side of things said he hadn't heard anything about it. And that, he said, was "no secret, so it's OK for you to tell your friends that". Could be, of course, that it is true -- and so secret that he doesn't know about it... But then again, he said he couldn't imagine why we'd want to do that. And neither can I:

There's just too many apps out there that use them. Aren't most 3GL Oracle DB "driver" libraries written on top of this API? At least AFAIK, that is how the various Delphi "Direct Oracle Access" components are written, for instance: Translated from the C header (*.h) files that specify the OCI, the Oracle Call Interface.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Won't happen
All language bindings C, Perl, Python, etc go though
these.

They'd be telling their entire developer base to
go pound sand.

Unless they then created another library that
translated between their Java and the outside
world, but that would add another layer of indirection
to every call, slowing it down. How much?
     Comment in Jobs forum about Oracle dropping their C libs? - (wharris2) - (3)
         I'll see what I can find out at work tomorrow. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Naah - at least, not according to the guy I talked to. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Won't happen - (broomberg)

...and the President was unfortunately subjected to public opinion.
31 ms