IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Stack trace from core file?
I've a couple of core dumps I grabbed off some aix boxes where some standalone java code is causing cpu spikes. Seem to remember a tool (jcore?) that provided the ability to produce stack traces from core files, but cannot find the tool anymore. Any thoughts on the best way to extract the stack traces?

TIA,
-Slugbug
New Googling quickly, jstack?
[link|http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/share/jstack.html|http://java.sun.com/...share/jstack.html]

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Saw that too, but...
....thinking it may not work on IBM's VM. Seems to address 1.5 of Sun's VM though unsupported. Guessing I need an IBM VM-specific tool. Will keep looking...thanks!

-Slugbug
New Re-run on Sun's JVM?
If you're just trying to find why it is spinning CPU, and it is pure Java, you'll probably have the problem in any JVM. So use the one that you can debug to get a useful stack trace.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New point taken...will give it a shot....thx!
New uhhh - adb
It's on my Solaris box, not my linux, and I don't have AIX to check.
I used it eons ago when learning C programming on SCO Xenix
New thought about that, but...
....from the docs:

Note: The adb command cannot be used to examine 64-bit objects and AIX 4.3 core format. adb still works with pre-AIX 4.3 core format.

So, no work-ie for this issue. Still working on it though. No luck yet. May have another 3rd party tool that can help with the stack trace minus a core dump.

-Slugbug
New would strings help? most of the stack stuff is text innit?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Solution...
....found out that jcore was replaced by jextract (IBM JDK). Grabbed a core dump and ran jextract. Got the trace. Another case of (not so) great documentation.
Thanks to all for trying to help!

My $0.02,
Slugbug
New I had confidence that you'd find a solution
     Stack trace from core file? - (slugbug) - (9)
         Googling quickly, jstack? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Saw that too, but... - (slugbug) - (2)
                 Re-run on Sun's JVM? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     point taken...will give it a shot....thx! -NT - (slugbug)
         uhhh - adb - (broomberg) - (1)
             thought about that, but... - (slugbug)
         would strings help? most of the stack stuff is text innit? -NT - (boxley)
         Solution... - (slugbug) - (1)
             I had confidence that you'd find a solution -NT - (ben_tilly)

Allow me to retort!
100 ms