IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, 5 no... 1 ehh maybe... (qualified)
But then again, the Java plugins don't require all that. You just have to D/L the plugin installer from Blackdown(easy to find). Matter of Fact I believe [link|http://www.google.com/search?q=Java+2+for+Linux|The First Entry] probably will get you there. The directions available are complete, yet are taciturn. The plugin installation is quite straight forward... you just have to know a few things about your system.

I have 5 different versions of Java installed on the machine in question, which is excessive, but it is done and available

Will Aunt Tilly want all 5? Even if she did, she couldn't on Windows! But she DOES have the ability to have them on Linux/*BSD etc... albeit with some work.

I shared my "solution" with him, cause he asked! It gives him alot of avenues to go forth and wander.

<rant>
'Course you are assuming alot here when you ask your question. When you ask those kind of questions, I have noticed you walk into a "extreme" condition and ask if the average (l)user could handle this. I guess you seem to ignore the fact that this was a sharing of knowledge and you refused to partake in the conversation and declare it useless(to you only). Mainly caused by your inability to have the info soak in and make a difference.
</rant>

Sorry for any insults, but you gotta stop doing that, when it is NOT appropriate. Please look at the whole situation, not just your evaluation of how it applies to you. If it doesn't apply to you or you don't understand what is being discussed, STAY OUT OF IT! or ask questions to explain what or why, but not, if some third-party could comprehend/manage it also.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New My apologies
I certainly meant no offense. I read your very clear and detailed instructions initially because *I've* had some problems getting the Java plug-in from Netscape to install on Mozilla 0.9.7 (RH 7.2).

However, I've also been reading all of the discussions around the Web of:

- Linux on the Desktop
- Eric Raymond's essays involving a mythical end user called Aunt Tilly (and her geek nephew Melvin) and ways that can be found to make using Linux as transparent (or more so) than Windows for her. (That's where the reference came from. I apologize for assuming that you caught the reference. My wife gets pissed at me for doing that to her as well.)

Add to that the fact that my job involves (at least in part) introducing Linux to folks who are much more comfortable with Windows (despite the fact that they swear more *at* it than *by* it.)

In my own way, I'm a strong advocate of Linux as a strong choice for a day-to-day desktop. This mindset and my tendency towards overly terse and cryptic commentary caused what I hope you'll agree was an unfortunate misunderstanding. Once more, I apologize.

In future, I'll try to either a)participate in a more positive, constructive manner or b) shut the hell up.

Tom
New Grrr...
First of all Eric Raymond's aunt is named Tillie, not Tilly.

Secondly if I ever again happen to meet him, I will be sure to complain about that particular phrase...

Cheers,
Ben
New No problem...
Just understand, I try not to deal with that "other" arena for Linux.

I nasically ignore ESR, since he deviated from what I call "normal" (well my normal would be extreme by many standards), a while back.

I am happy with it in the Server end of things.

But, I do definately believe it COULD be on every desktop with some work being done.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Gotcha...
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
     Y'know, I'm really hating Redhat right now... - (inthane-chan) - (11)
         And out the other side. - (inthane-chan)
         I know the feeling - (tjsinclair)
         Rides nice, but... - (inthane-chan) - (8)
             VERY weird. - (inthane-chan)
             Ahhhh.... Plug-ins... those wondeful things... - (folkert) - (6)
                 But could Aunt Tilly handle this? -NT - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                     Well, 5 no... 1 ehh maybe... (qualified) - (folkert) - (4)
                         My apologies - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Grrr... - (ben_tilly)
                             No problem... - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Gotcha... -NT - (tjsinclair)

Truly you are Earth's greatest customer.
43 ms