IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hey, it was a bug
The bug was that there was a system call that could leave garbage in a user-visible register. Since gcc assumes that this will never happen, this is a bug. If you'd used libc, you wouldn't hit the bug, but handwritten assembler can.

It doesn't matter how much you dislike the application that found the bug, the bug can affect applications that people really want to run, and so should be fixed.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yes, it was a bug.
But I guess my point was about the non-chalant way in which the whole thing was handled by the "Linux Community" where as the Windows CAMP blew the top off the cannister trumpeting the "Fall" of "Linux" previous to 2.6.16

So, Linus said something along the lines of, "Darn a kernel bug broke your "virus thing", I'll fix that. Now what was so significant about this program, that you had to know about?"

It is laughable to see the Windows Advocates and Anti-Virus Vendors trumpeting this as the corner being turned. No this is just re-defining the sheer audacity of them trying to tear down this "Linux thing".

Why aren't the doing this to *BSD, or OSX? (well they are, but have had tons of non-luck doing it)

Oh, the only reason I use Anti-Virus stuff on linux, is when it services Windows machines. It is sort of like not having to use asbestos, lead lined gloves, to clean and scrub these messages and files clean. Unlike Windows doing it. Everything has to be redirected (or wrapped) in-order to catch these things.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     A FO to Linus Torvalds. (not the F&%k Off variant) - (folkert) - (2)
         Hey, it was a bug - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Yes, it was a bug. - (folkert)

Debian is Sex.
94 ms