IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hosed Again
With a demonstration of my typically less than stellar career timing I applied for an internal position as web services evangelist. It sounded fun, travel to confs, give talks, meet people, give them ideas, help them use the various services, nice social outlet.

I got pretty close - convincing 4 of 6 interviewers that I was the right guy. But in the end they declined.

As part of the interview process my current manager was notified and his opinion was sought - he didn't give all that great an impression. He also decided that, since another manager had resigned in the same week (he has a little retention problem due to his non-existent people skills) he needed to reorg his little piece of the world with loyal people.

Consequently, I no longer manage any group of people or project. I was told to inform my people that I was no longer their manager a week before final ship of our project. I remain responsible for shipping the project though. I now spend my days copying machine utilization numbers off of web pages and into spreadsheets and surfing the internal job postings - which were mostly yanked this week in a round of corporate belt tightening thus eliminating most opportunities for moving within the org.

I so hate my fucking job now and I. AM. FUCKED. Mostly since any internal move will again require manager approval, he will be asked for feedback and...

Feelin' pretty low lately.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:30:28 AM EDT
New CR@P.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New :-( Any way to keep back channels there open?
Try to discretely keep your options open with other groups there, if you can. I hope this rough spot is temporary and very mild.

Hang in there.

Cheers,
Scott.
New fingies x'ed
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New That sucks.
If you need to go out and get snookered, and somebody to watch your back, I'll volunteer.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New Sorry to hear it, Todd!
You are working for an asshole.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New d'ya think?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:31:25 AM EDT
New You're doing what?
Sounds to me like a good use for a web bot. Use LWP or LWP::Mechanize (depending on how much of that you want to write yourself) to get the pages, HTML::TokeParser::Simple or HTML::TableExtract (depending how flexible you need to be) to get the utilization numbers from the tables, and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel or Win32::OLE (depending whether you can write new or need to update existing) for the spreadsheets.

Good luck,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New As you might expect
I have a perfectly awesome HTML parser as a result of building the Scrutinizer. However, I can't figure out the security cookie format to allow it to actually fetch the pages I scrape. So I end up bootstrapping off of saved text files.

Its still monkey work and I'd be OK with being dead just now what with how swimmingly all facets of my life are going.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:33:41 AM EDT
New Chin up. Spring's coming. :-)
New ugh. only a temporary set back I hope
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New That blows, Todd.
I'll be keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for a good outcome.
jb4
"Every Repbulican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
&mdash an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New Ouch. Feel the sympathy oozing off this post.
Take up Thane on that offer; have him watch yer back while you get stinking drunk.

(Sorry that's all I can suggest; that's the best I can suggest for almost *all* problems.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Beer isn't the answer.
No, wait...

WTF am I talking about?

Of course beer is the answer.

And no, it doesn't depend on what the question is.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Beer is always the answer to help one forget the question.
New Because the answer is always 42!

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." ~ George Eliot
New Sorry to hear that
I thought the place like yours has no time/money for that kind of crap. Well, what do you know...
Hang in there.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New One carefully placed psycho
can throw a pall over the whole wax works.

Working on my extrication plan. May require full exit but am trying internal channels first.

In other news, Google has concluded once again that my skills don't match any of their needs (I guess I didn't pay enough for my education).

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:38:50 AM EDT
New So sorry to hear it :(
I'll keep you in my prayers and thoughts that things improve.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life."

By Geoffrey F. Abert
New Sounds like your boss took it personally :(
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
     Hosed Again - (tuberculosis) - (19)
         CR@P. -NT - (imric)
         :-( Any way to keep back channels there open? - (Another Scott)
         fingies x'ed -NT - (boxley)
         That sucks. - (inthane-chan)
         Sorry to hear it, Todd! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             d'ya think? -NT - (tuberculosis)
         You're doing what? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             As you might expect - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Chin up. Spring's coming. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         ugh. only a temporary set back I hope -NT - (cforde)
         That blows, Todd. - (jb4)
         Ouch. Feel the sympathy oozing off this post. - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Beer isn't the answer. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Beer is always the answer to help one forget the question. -NT - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Because the answer is always 42! -NT - (imqwerky)
         Sorry to hear that - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             One carefully placed psycho - (tuberculosis)
         So sorry to hear it :( - (Nightowl)
         Sounds like your boss took it personally :( -NT - (Meerkat)

55 orders of magnitude bigger than it should be.
324 ms