IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm not sure the Roman occupation was anything new to them.
The Roman occupation also challenged the rather concrete view of the place of faith. Good was supposed to prosper and evil fail, except for the occasional test, and that was supposed to happen for the most part in this life. And here are these polytheistic Roman occupation forces getting all the goodies while faithful Jews get zilch if they are lucky. So is polytheism good, or Yahweh weak, or did we do something wrong, or what?

"Occasional" is, I think, a misleading adjective when you take into account the centricity of the Babylonian exile to the Jewish worldview at the time. How many decades did that last? You've got to figure there was a whole host of theo/philosophical explanations for that "test" floating around which then were (re)applied to the Romans. Not to mention that, after the return from the diaspora, things didn't go so easily for them. You get a more wordy feel for this from [link|http://www.jewishgates.org/history/jewhis/exile.stm|this link] (just the first one I found that touched on the subject).
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New At times, things went bad
for God's people. God allowed them to be captured, and put into slavery. Some say he allowed this because they disobeyed them. Then he usually sends someone to free them, and they are free again. Jesus was sent to free the Jewish people from not jst Roman rule, but also from the sin they had fallen into from the Roman influence. Well apparently he came for the gentiles as well, after all he did heal a Roman soldier after the soldier's superior asked Jesus too do so. Jesus was also upset about the money changers in the temple and the way the temple was run. The temple had a black list and some people were not allowed to go in, like the sick and the lame, etc. Jesus went out to reach these people to tell them that God had not forgotten about them.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
     Missing - have you seen our executatives? - (Simon_Jester) - (22)
         It was after all, a Texas-sized scam - (Ashton) - (7)
             Well, DoJ will investigate Enron case. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                 Don't agree with regulation proposal - (bbronson) - (2)
                     No blackouts on 401K - (Arkadiy)
                     Re: Don't agree with regulation proposal - (a6l6e6x)
                 To harsh - (JayMehaffey)
                 More important is the company match - (bconnors) - (1)
                     Good point! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Smash and grab! - (nking) - (13)
             All that's true, but I'm terribly... - (Ric Locke) - (12)
                 Share your pain, but pretty much inured by now.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     ::sigh:: No, I don't expect - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                         Not a bad angle, that - (Ashton)
                 Marx was innocent - (mhuber) - (8)
                     Forget Marx, Jesus had it right. - (nking) - (7)
                         Equally unrealistic, in a changed world. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             Not sure much has changed - (mhuber) - (3)
                                 Small disagreement - (Ashton)
                                 I'm not sure the Roman occupation was anything new to them. - (tseliot) - (1)
                                     At times, things went bad - (nking)
                             Hate to poop on your parade... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 It may be that it doesn't matter, too. - (Ashton)

I'm glad I didn't have to explain it to you.
80 ms