IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't understand your question
I just can't make sense of it. I don't understand what connection you think that array has to that database. So let me take this step by step.

First of all I would strongly recommend adding some error checks to that. If prepare or execute fail (and either could) then $DBI::errstr should have the actual error message. You'll probably want to see that.

But that detail aside, all that finish does is indicates that the statement handle is really done. (So stuff may be flushed, the database told that you're done, etc.) After that, the statement handle is useless.

The array is a structure in your program. Other than what you explictly see in the code, it has no connection to the statement handle or the database. Finishing the statement handle does not affect what is in the array. The database has no idea what you did with its data.

If you run the same code again, the array will wind up with data from both runs. It is possible to write code that takes data from that array and sends it back to the database. It is not possible to write a query in the database that accesses that data.

If you want to accomplish something that looks like the last step, then you either need to insert that data into a table (several databases have the idea of temporary tables that can be useful for this), or you need to make that select statement into a nested subquery in a larger query.

I've tried to answer every permutation that I can think of what you might have meant by your question. Hopefully along the way I answered your actual question.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Thank you sir
The array is a structure in your program. Other than what you explictly see in the code, it has no connection to the statement handle or the database. Finishing the statement handle does not affect what is in the array. The database has no idea what you did with its data.
that was the answer to my question, it turns out that my problem may actually be the following. I was running the code and receiving no output, which is why I was wondering what happened to the array.

The output statement is

print(BLOBLIST "$blobpath\\n");

which doesnt appear to write anything but

print BLOBLIST "$blobpath\\n"; does output to the file.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Those 2 are identical.
Your problem lies elsewhere.
New why does the one without parense print and not the other?
well gonna be spending a few days relearning what little I ever knew about perl.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Barry is right
The two are completely the same to Perl.

I'm going to guess that you had a typo you accidentally fixed.

Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     perl DBI question - (boxley) - (11)
         I don't understand your question - (ben_tilly) - (4)
             Thank you sir - (boxley) - (3)
                 Those 2 are identical. - (broomberg) - (2)
                     why does the one without parense print and not the other? - (boxley) - (1)
                         Barry is right - (ben_tilly)
         found why no data shows up - (boxley) - (5)
             What EXACTLY (in clear concise terms) are you trying to do. - (broomberg) - (4)
                 well hmm - (boxley) - (3)
                     That someone sucks - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                         the application has a utility to do the actual move - (boxley)

My other car got stolen by Ashton.
171 ms