IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've seen this before....
In theory, the system should be able to use any size SIMM. In practice, many chipsets assume that 32M was as big as it was going to get (it probably seemed reasonable at the time :-))
I had one machine that registered the SIMMS as the wrong size and another that just puked on 64s. According to tech support (I bought one of the machines from Micron, who should know about memory), the system should have taken them.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is...
I solved my problem by pitching the mom-board and replacing it with one that would take larger, cheaper DIMMs.

Regards,
Hugh
New But what about
a system with 64M in two SIMMS that these 64M SIMMS show up as 16M SIMMS on it? Are there certain types of SIMMS that do not work properly with some motherboards?

They have the part as 64EDO16SIMHI could the 16 after the EDO be the real size? Could the SIMMS be mislabeled?

Yes I want my father-in-law to get a newer motherboard, but it is a Gateway. An old Pentium 133 Gateway based on At tower technology with PS/2 ports on it. No ATX, so modern motherboards won't work in the case. I told him I would have to get a new case for the upgrade and maybe for under $300 I could upgrade it to a PIII or AMD system. But he didn't seem to want to spend that much money right now. So I ordered him the 128M of RAM. I had gotten him a 15G IDE hard drive for Christmas and I had to load EZ-BIOS to get it to work on the system.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Go to Crucial.com
Enter the Gateway system model, etc., and it will tell you what memory it recommends for the system.

Also, look at the chips on the SIMM you have. One string of long numbers will tell you what the actual RAM chip is. From that number you should be able to figure out what the actual SIMM is using and whether it is 16 MB or 64 MB.

[link|http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_id-2.html|Here's] and ARS Technica article which talks about identifying SIMMs. There's other stuff out there as well which a Google search will turn up.

HTH. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New One small problem
For the model number, it just says "New Tower" on the back of the tower Gateway tag.

I do have a lot number, 4174363.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
     64M EDO SIMM comes up as 16M - (nking) - (5)
         I've seen this before.... - (hnick) - (3)
             But what about - (nking) - (2)
                 Go to Crucial.com - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     One small problem - (nking)
         Check the motherboard specs. - (a6l6e6x)

So less could be more, more could be less, and nothing could be most of all — sometimes.
53 ms