IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Week eight, still sans job
The job market SUCKS MIGHTILY right now. As I'm sure more than a few of you are aware... I've heard from a colleague that the job market is so bad that another tech writer we both know has decided to become a teacher, because they'll pay her while she's in training -- for less money, but she needs the income...

I'm still ok. I've managed to cut back on expenses for the most part, and if no Major Bad Things happen (knock on wood) I can survive on unemployment for another few months. Other than the counting of pennies and general worrying over finances, it's actually sort of restful, not having to adjust my personal time clock (which is heavily influenced by chronic insomnia) to a regular 9-5 schedule. On the other hand, I'd like to be working. Damned puritan work ethic...

At any rate, hope you guys are having better luck than I am, or at least managing to tread water.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New perm or contract?
Are you looking for a perm position right now? If so, you're
right -- the market does suck! However, there is plenty of
contract and freelance work available. Have you tried that?
New Either. Both.
Actually, I prefer being a contractor... thing is, in Raleigh, NC (where I live) the only tech writing work I've found requires extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, which I don't have... and I bought a house two years ago, so I really don't want to relocate.
- Edward Young
New Wipe location from your mind....
I do quite a few tech writing and coding gigs -- contract -- and
none of 'em are anywhere near where I live. You might want to
search for virtual assignments.
New How?
I've tried looking under "telecommute" on monster.com, and I keep finding the dubious stuff... you know, "work at home and make lots of money by creating spam!"

How does one search for virtual assignments?

- Edward Young
New sounds like you need some....
.....links. Drop me an e-mail.

maggie at biggs dot com
New I need some as well
the job market in STL stinks for IT work as we are a small IT shop. STL Firms seem to think that they can force IT workers to do the job of 2 or 3 people so they can hire 1 person to do the job of 2 or 3. I'll be sending you an email for the links as well. Thanks.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Thanks!
I am away from my regular email all day today, but will email you tomorrow...
- Edward Young
     Week eight, still sans job - (cwbrenn) - (7)
         perm or contract? - (slugbug) - (6)
             Either. Both. - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                 Wipe location from your mind.... - (slugbug) - (4)
                     How? - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                         sounds like you need some.... - (slugbug) - (2)
                             I need some as well - (nking)
                             Thanks! - (cwbrenn)

30%!! My God!! How did you survive the ordeal?!?
117 ms