IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Exchange Server 2000 Errors on Win2K Server
First off, I know little about Exchange. (No comments about using other products, I'd like to have a UNIX solution but that would require agreement with the other two IT people and changing the existing infrastructure which is never easy.) My mail server experience is sendmail, assuming you can muddle through the m4 and cf stuff, diagnosing issues is pretty easy.

Backing up with Veritas Backup Exec 10 successfully for a long time. Starting last week the two stores (mail and public folders) have problems being backed up. Access denied errors along with "this file is corrupt."

All permissions within the Exchange System Manager for the backup account are set (that I could find.) The backups of individual public folders works. Test backups of individual mailboxes works. No one has problems accessing their mail with Outlook. We did recently have an issue with permission resets on the public folders (coincides with the backup issues.) A replication was done to another system (I wasn't involved nor would I know how that's done.) Not sure if that's the cause or not. The files are on a RAID5 array which does not appear to have a failing drive nor was rebuilt.

Anyone play with Exchange and encounter something like this?
lister
New This might help
[link|http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313184|Link]
-----------------------------------------
No new taxes.
--George H. W. Bush

We don't torture.
--George W. Bush
New Thanks
That's some major stuff that I'd rather not want to do. I've got Veritas taking a look into this right now. Hopefully it's something simple. *crosses fingers*

Gah! Next time I meet a Microsoftie I'm going to slap them upside the head! Email shouldn't be this complicated. :-(
lister
New Buggers
Nope not a Veritas issue. There is corruption in the DB. Problem is that time and space are issues. *SIGH* Have I mentioned how much I HATE databases before? So I'm moving off mailboxes to a new server with corrupt messages being deleted as encountered (there doesn't appear to be very many so far.) Once that's done I can dismount the DB, wrassle up some space and run the repair utils on it until the Exchange guy is back to put the finishing touches on things.

Geez, I'd rather hack on m4 and cf than this... :-(
lister
     Exchange Server 2000 Errors on Win2K Server - (lister) - (3)
         This might help - (Silverlock) - (2)
             Thanks - (lister) - (1)
                 Buggers - (lister)

It's smarter than you think.
45 ms