IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How and why?
I think it probably dates to pre-Web pre-Internet time, all the way back to a concept Microsoft once had of "near real time" updates, where (as an example) sales people in the field would Email information and forms to a central location, the central location could massage the data, update databases, etc., and their sales people would get stuff back in return Email messages. (This was demonstrated in one of the few Developer Days I ever went to. Nowdays, for that scenario, you'd be updating things more directly via a Web page.)

That's probably where the idea came from, but it's obviously far from a description of where it went from there. I would guess that because they had done something like this before, they built the same type of thing with COM objects - and all the while, thinking about the benefits of being able to execute code out of mail, and not even thinking about the security problems inherent in getting untrusted mail.

By the time they realized the severity of the problems, it was really too late for them to do a lot about it. The code for executing stuff from Email (and, by then, other office components) was probably so tightly "integrated" with every component that it was probably logistically impossible to tear it out.

At least how I remember it from the 90's. If someone has a different explanation of how the entire mess evolved, I'd be interested in seeing it.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
Expand Edited by wharris2 Jan. 9, 2002, 04:28:48 PM EST
New Re: How and why?
That's about it: how does Java (or Unix or Linux or whatever) actually go about making a "sandbox" that the executables can't muck things up outside of it? I have kind of a vague idea, but nothing really technical.
[link|http://java.sun.com/marketing/collateral/security.html|Here] is Sun white paper thingie.
The business end of the Java security model is conveniently described by using the metaphor of the Sandbox. The sandbox comprises a number of cooperating system components, ranging from security managers that execute as part of the application, to security measures designed into the Java Virtual Machine* (JVM) and the language itself. The sandbox ensures that an untrusted-and possibly malicious-application cannot gain access to system resources.

Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
In ActiveX, in order to draw a fish on your desktop, the object must have all permissions that you have. In Java, in order to draw same fish, the applet only has enough permissions to draw on desktop. ActiveX has all or nothing security model. Java could always do "some or all", and now it can do multilevel permission, depending on where the code comes from and who signed it.
     Outlook, Windows, and viruses. - (acagle) - (9)
         A brief summary of why Outlook has so many viruses. - (nking) - (8)
             Re: A brief summary of why Outlook has so many viruses. - (acagle) - (7)
                 How and why? - (wharris2) - (3)
                     Re: How and why? - (acagle) - (2)
                         Re: How and why? - (a6l6e6x)
                         Re: How and why? - (Arkadiy)
                 VBA in Outlook. - (static) - (2)
                     Their responses? - (wharris2) - (1)
                         Something like that. - (static)

Out of respect for Apple's good name, this LRPDism has been censored.
69 ms