IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Turkey Day was established by an intensive . . .
. . media campaign targeting the Lincoln Administration. Since it was a "God Revival" era (they come and go), the holiday was declared to molify the Neo-Puritans.

It is based entirely on a small note in the colony's records complaining about a beer bash that got out of hand, went on for days and consumed a lot of the winter provisions. Natives smelled the food and came by and were sent out to get some more (probably in exchange for beer).

The Neo-Puritans naturally interpreted it as a religious event in so religious a community and it would have been a prayer meeting to thank God for the harvest.

Everything else about Thanksgiving was made up out of pure imagination because nobody knew anything about the Pilgrims, including their costumes (which were apparently copied from the inside lid of a Dutch Masters cigar box), the blunderbusses they hunted with (a no-aim, no-range weapon of mass destruction to repel boarders trying to take over you ship) and their turkey hunting. All completely imaginary.

Wild turkeys in a natural habitat are almost impossible to bag even with modern equipment. Their evasiveness has been described as "near to genius". The Pilgrims did bring Mexican turkeys over from Europe in 1620 so they could actually have eaten turkey, but nobody knows for sure. Mexican turkeys, introduced to Europe 100 years before, had completely displaced the peacock as festival bird and were by then just normal supplies.

All this and many more tawdry details are available from the Smithsonian Institution. Much of it was published in Smithsonian Magazine just before the Bicentenial - along with the truth about a lot of the other myths that comprise our "American Heritage". This elicited pleading letters to "Please stop - we know it must be true because you have all the evidence, but please stop anyway".

So, Marlowe, I pretty much agree with you for once, and with your Baby Jesus statement also (tax time in the Roman Empire was spring, not winter, just as it is here today, and for very practical reasons).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Nov. 26, 2005, 02:17:29 PM EST
New I just think of it as a harvest celebration
We don't have another one and fall is a good time to celebrate getting the crops in.

I like T-day. The goal is modest, get the family together for a nice meal. Compared with x-mas its a low stress delight.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:42:23 PM EDT
New Indeed
Thanksgiving is a harvest celebration coopted by patriotism. Makes for a refreshing change from the usual slew of pagan celebrations coopted by Christianity.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     The case against Turkey Day - (marlowe) - (17)
         nice screed but a few nits - (boxley) - (2)
             Those didn't amount to anything, either. - (marlowe) - (1)
                 never been to st augustine? - (boxley)
         Turkey Day was established by an intensive . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             I just think of it as a harvest celebration - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Indeed - (ben_tilly)
         Not bad; of course: we Do just make it all up as we go along -NT - (Ashton)
         And exactly what IS wrong with family, food and football? - (jb4) - (9)
             try reading it without your Marlowe filter, here let me help - (boxley) - (8)
                 What's any 'point' gotta do with it? - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Shades of that liberal state shining through? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Have no idea what 'liberal' means, except - (Ashton)
                 Isn't that what Easter is all about? - (imqwerky) - (4)
                     nuba, stanley cup and spring training -NT - (boxley)
                     Well, Easter needs a lot of un-Revisionism too. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Can we still keep Mardi Gras? :-) -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             What would make you think we couldn't? -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

This isn't beer, this is lemonade.
57 ms