IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Posted too soon.
Oil light came back on today when idle dropped to around 500 rpm. Will get oil changed and see if that helps.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Do engines really idle *that* low nowadays?
500 rpm?!? Back in my day, that was where they went out, from sheer lack of momentum.

Maybe what you need to do is get your idle-rpm raised a bit, and then your oil light won't come on any more.

(Note: MAYBE. :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Well, perhaps it is low, but . . .
. . it's flow that matters, not pressure. Oil pressure isn't what keeps the bearings and crankshaft apart, it's a wedging action from the viscosity of the oil. Compared to the mechanical pressures oil pressure itself is insignificant.

I've had plenty of cars that had low pressure at idle but kept on going for many years. I don't know at what pressure your light goes on, but I've heard of cars getting along fine with about 6 pounds of pressure at speed, though I prefer at least 12 myself.

10/40 oil is good, I've never resorted to 10/50 but it does exist and might prevent your light from going on, particularly if the problem is a worn or out of spec. oil pump.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Another Automotive Question - (jbrabeck) - (11)
         Dodgy sensor that needs replacing? -NT - (pwhysall)
         2 thinks...one cheap, one not so cheap - (bepatient)
         Sounds like a bad sensor to me. - (Another Scott)
         What they said, and change the oil. - (Steve Lowe)
         Just seconding - - (Ashton)
         Update - (jbrabeck) - (5)
             Woot! -NT - (Another Scott)
             Looks like you dodged one. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Posted too soon. - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 Do engines really idle *that* low nowadays? - (CRConrad)
                 Well, perhaps it is low, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

I invited her up to my place for a little midnight bait. I said, "Come on, baby. It'll only take a few minnows." She threw me that same old line: "Not tonight, I've got a haddock."
36 ms