IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mail problem.
We send a host of emails out through our 520. Recently, we've been getting undeliverable messages and I don't know where to look for the problem (where's the maillog on an iSeries?). Anyway, this is what we get back:

NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES. ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.

HOST xxxx400 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):
<xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.COM>
RETRIES EXHAUSTED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO CONNECT TO REMOTE HOST xxxxxx.

I can traceroute to the destination host w/out any issues and our Linux host can send mail out just fine. But when mail goes through the iSeries for this one client, it (apparently) gets rejected, but I don't know why. Any help with where to start looking will be greatly appreciated.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Nothing in dspdstlog?
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Nope.
It doesn't look like anything in there is even related to this email process. The problem is our dev team really doesn't know how this is sent out. It was a custom app written by a long gone conslutant (our inhouse developers didn't know what SMTP was until I told them). And, as you know, you could put what I know about OS/400 in a thimble and have room for your fist. I don't get a trace or anything. I can't even be sure that it was rejected from the recipient host or if, for reasons unknown, the iSeries couldn't reach the recipient host.

bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New I'm curious
Do you have libraries TAATOOL? EMAILSPOOL? MMAIL?
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New How do I look?
I'm told we have some 3rd party product/service/whatever called NETSEND. Man, I can't wait until our 400 SA starts next week. ;0(
bcnu,
Mikem

New Use DSPLIB *ALL
I'm curious to see if you are using some free products to support your mail app - that's what I did here - and dspdstlog was useless for debug.
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Only one I see is MMAIL.
And do you have any idea why mail would be sent with naked LFs?
bcnu,
Mikem

New OK. MimeMail.
OK, off the top of my head - what is the normal content of the mail you send? Printed reports? If so, you might be using dtaqs to send it to mmail (via the configuration of the outq). If the dtaq is screwy, that might be causing your problem. Look for a job under subsystem qsyswrk - use WRKACTJOB SBS(QSYSWRK) - running function EMLSPLF, or some such. Work with that job - option 5 - then display the job log - option 10. Maybe that can tell you what's going on.

If not, the mailing job will prolly be running explicitly, and you might be able to find out more via dsplog.

Let me know if you find anything...
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Thanks!
bcnu,
Mikem

New *chuckle* Don't thank me yet!
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New No, thanks for replying! Prolly be tomorrow b4 I can look.
bcnu,
Mikem

New it appears to not be able to connect to host:25
from the iseries can you telnet to the receiptiant domain on port 25? Any errors thrown from the far port may help.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Bare LF's.
That's what it is. Now, anybody know how to stop an iSeries from sending bare linefeeds?
bcnu,
Mikem

New strip out the carriage return? (^M)
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Mail problem. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
         Nothing in dspdstlog? -NT - (imric) - (9)
             Nope. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                 I'm curious - (imric) - (7)
                     How do I look? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Use DSPLIB *ALL - (imric) - (5)
                             Only one I see is MMAIL. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 OK. MimeMail. - (imric) - (3)
                                     Thanks! -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         *chuckle* Don't thank me yet! -NT - (imric) - (1)
                                             No, thanks for replying! Prolly be tomorrow b4 I can look. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         it appears to not be able to connect to host:25 - (boxley) - (2)
             Bare LF's. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 strip out the carriage return? (^M) -NT - (boxley)

Behold I am become Death, the destroyer of cars.
188 ms