IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Charlie has a followup at TheInquirer.
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27426|Here]:

If you read the Sony PR spin masquerading as a FAQ [link|http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/faq.html|here], the tepid responses it give are laughable. Number one states that the technology is used to prevent copying, but that is true for only Windows boxes, so why the discrimination? It only affects legitimate users. If you want to copy the music, all you need to do is hold down the shift key when inserting it and you are free to copy. That or have a non-Windows computer.

[...]

Number four tells you to consult the EULA when you want to copy the disc. Which madhouse did we step into that now means a CD needs a EULA? I stopped buying CDs so I wouldn't have to give money to rapacious weasels years ago, and none of the CDs I own have a EULA on them. It is madness. So, at Best Buy tonight, I tried to consult the EULA before I bought the Van Zant CD.

It wasn't on the CD package, not on the shelves near by, and the blue shirted aisle trolls had no idea what I was talking about. No, they could not provide me with one, I did ask though. So, if you are dumb enough to buy a Sony CD, and don't want to rootkit your machine, you can't find out beforehand, have to agree to a one sided contract that you can't read before you say yes, and can't get your money back. Wonderful, thank you Sony.

It's a nice rant and he makes more very good points, as usual. Take a peek.

Cheers,
Scott.
New And a lengthy rant on Intel + Beast + sheeple
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24638| here]. East Fork appears to be the name of the latest Insanely Great [\ufffd Steve Jobs] route to Corp nirvana:
Everybody Pays to Play, Each Time (car, home or pocket).
Intel to cut Linux out of the content market

Comment East Fork off key

By Charlie Demerjian: Friday 15 July 2005, 10:01
INTEL IS ABOUT TO CUT Linux out of the legitimate content market, and hand the keys to the future of digital media to Microsoft at your expense. Don't like it? Tough, you are screwed. The vehicle to do this is called East Fork, the upcoming and regrettable Intel digital media 'platform'. The funny part is that the scheme is already a failure, but it will hurt you as it thrashes before it dies. Be afraid, be very afraid.

First, lets explore what East Fork (EF) is. It is basically a media server PC on steroids with a lot of interesting software. The downside is that it is aiming for you, not aimed at you. The first iteration, due out in Q1 2006, is based on a Smithfield dual core Pentium 4 with the Lakeport and ICH7-DH chipsets, a fairly plain combo. You also need a S-ATA HD with NCQ, and Intel HD Audio, but you can supplement that with anything else you need as long as it is on the board. You also need MS Media Center Edition 2006 (MCE 2006).

This will be replaced shortly after launch with a version based on Yonah, more like late Q1 2006, but since the Smithfield one slipped so much, this one might be delayed as well. It replaces the chipsets with Calistoga and ICH7-DHM, not a big change, and the rest remains the same. How they are going to sell a 64 bit launch and a quarter later an 'upgrade' to a 32 bit version is beyond me, but it isn't my idea. The replacement of the 130W Smithfield by the 31W Yonah won't cause many loud complaints, and the exhaust temperature of your stereo cabinet might go down a few orders of magnitude.

[+ a lot more super-techie TLAs re the means for morphing --> NO CHOICE, SUCKER]

I'll watch. Fortunately for moi, there's little 'audio-with-drums' or 'car-chases+plastic-sex' I'm apt to want a copy of. And if it comes to having to find obscure noir (or any sort of movies.. from the era of actual Movies with real plots and actors) - in analog formats? I can live with that.

I haven't noticed super-fine digital resolution to ameliorate, in the slightest - crappy acting, predictable inane plots or just incompetence. There are more than enough gems from the '20s on, that haven't made it to reissue yet, to satisfy my periodic cravings to see things happen on a screen. Pity about the ones already lost, still on nitrate film / in pieces. Oh well.

There may be more than a few of us with these Alien standards; I'm sure the $-motivated will eventually discover this rich untapped audience of folks who wouldn't walk across the street to see the latest demographic car chase/turf war.
And maybe smart enough to eschew the DRM..

Or, maybe not; gets a bit sillier every day.. why should movies escape?

Play a Sony BMG music CD, get a rootkit. - (Another Scott) - (29)
         ya beat me - (Steve Lowe)
         As my boss said when I showed him this - (Silverlock)
         Patch to be posted - (admin) - (10)
             I'm sure the whole issue is windows only -NT - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                 Re: I'm sure the whole issue is windows only - (andread) - (5)
                     from Sony's FAQ - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                         Reason to buy a MacMini? -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Reason to disable AutoPlay under Windows right away. :) -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 Did you need one before? - (hnick) - (1)
                                     Nope. - (inthane-chan)
             Patch site is IE only; - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 the patch that isn't - (cforde) - (1)
                     No, it isn't 'write once' . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Charlie has a followup at TheInquirer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             And a lengthy rant on Intel + Beast + sheeple - (Ashton)
         And in some good news... - (a6l6e6x)
         that didn't take long - (SpiceWare)
         Artists Need to Sue Sony - (andread) - (3)
             I heard SwitchFoot are considering something like that. - (static) - (2)
                 They're at least telling fans how to get around it. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     Aye. - (static)
         Triumph - for now anyway. - (Steve Lowe)
         M$ now providing tools to clean this up - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             To answer your question: No -NT - (drewk)
         It Gets Worse - (andread) - (3)
             Taking lessons from usoft, I see :) -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 And more widespread. - (folkert) - (1)
                     Ugh! Capital punishment would be too kind! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         EFF's letter to Sony (they can use a few $$) - (Ashton)

Comfort the afflicted; afflict the comfortable.
80 ms