IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Major disagreement
Jackson's ending made no sense, read zero, to me in 2 viewings. It grates more every time I think about it.

Tolkein's ending makes sense in every detail. It is beautiful. It is tragic. And it reinforces the fact that the bad guys can win.

This is absolutely and utterly integral to the power of the series as a whole. To understand this you will need to track down Tolkein's essay On Monsters. Read it. Until you understand what principles Tolkein conciously based his seminal work on, you won't really understand where the ultimate power of the whole works from.

Jackson is undermining the second and particularly third movies. And when he is all done and you try watching the series as a whole, it won't be as strong as it should have been.

I know you disagree now and are likely to for a good while. Let's talk about it again in 3 years, shall we?

Cheers,
Ben
New Oh, I agree.
I didn't say I LIKED that ending - but it was the best ending that Jackson could do, considering the target audience, especially for a first film. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if The Two Towers has the darker ending that finishes that book, since he's got people hooked with the first film. Worked for The Empire Strikes Back, too.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     LotR:FotR review - spoilers - (inthane-chan) - (34)
         Well, at least SOMEONE got to watch it last night. *grumble* -NT - (admin) - (1)
             FINALLY got to see the whole film! - (admin)
         The most irritating plot change for me? - (ben_tilly) - (22)
             I agree. Plus: - (tseliot)
             Battle criticism - (wharris2) - (20)
                 The changes I would have made... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                     I saw LOTR the other night - (nking)
                     Major disagreement - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Oh, I agree. - (inthane-chan)
                 The Moira scene made more sense on a second viewing - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                     OK OK, but surrounding still doesn't make sense - (wharris2) - (14)
                         Goblins are Orcs. - (inthane-chan) - (13)
                             Err_____ makin them humans - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 By that token, so were Aragorn and Arwen - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     IIRC... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                         Yes, but very little, but from a couple sources + Maia, too - (tonytib)
                             These beings were clearly different from Orcs. - (wharris2) - (8)
                                 Several sizes of Orcs - (tonytib) - (7)
                                     goblins are to orcs what gollum was to bilbo - (boxley) - (6)
                                         Or Myrdraal to Trollocs... -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Goblins and Orcs - (nking) - (4)
                                             Yup, Gollum used to be... Spoiler warning! (?) - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 That was the speculation in the book, at least. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     hobbits in general were animorphes, humanoid otters or - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         For Marvel-comic values of "mutation". It don' work that way -NT - (CRConrad)
         FX anomalies and other things. - (static)
         Screwed again - (broomberg) - (3)
             Where are you going... - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Re: Where are you going... - (broomberg)
             What time did you go? - (nking)
         2nd pass review - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Uruk-hai. :) -NT - (inthane-chan)
             Disagree about the hobbits - (wharris2)
         Finally Saw it my 2 cents - (boxley)

I'm into you like an undersized thong.
58 ms