IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Your writing is fine.
I don't know enough about her to know whether she's genuinely trying to help or whether she enjoys "correcting" others. Either way, it doesn't really matter. Shrug it off and move on. Your writing is fine.

Life's too short to be worried by such criticism. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Positive Update :)
I listened to all of you, and when I wrote SIL my e-mail on Thursday night, I incorporated some of the things you all suggested (such as letting her know I didn't know her real intent from all this, for example).

I still wrote in a negotiating, open-minded mode directed at understanding the problem and giving it the best tone as possible, though, I didn't attack or blame her, I just told her how I felt.

She wrote back yesterday, and I learned the following things:

She didn't mean to hurt me with her comments, and is sorry I got hurt. She seemed genuinely interested in my answers, and hopefully in working the situation out, and she also asked for my source regarding the "try and" issue that was discussed in here awhile back, so I gave her Ben's website.

Edit: She lamented a little bit about the deterioration of the English language in recent years, and actually reminded me about some of the things Ashton has said on here, among others. So it doesn't seem to be a personal thing. However, I explained that my writing and any choices about it would be the one thing I would defend most, as it was the most important thing to me to protect in this messed up situation with the Reunion committee.

I don't know if things will straighten out completely, but we have opened a calm, reasonable dialogue for the first time since July 17th this year's incident, and honestly, I think that's major progress.

Thank you sincerely, for all of your help.

Brenda

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 24, 2005, 09:34:58 AM EDT
New Like yer .sig!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Thanks, me too!
That's essentially what I finally told my mom about letting me speak freely to SIL after years of hearing "PLEASE don't rock the boat!"

I like it a lot, it's almost liberating. :)

Brenda

"I'll rock the darn boat all I want to, and if it's meant to stay afloat, then it will. If not, then we'll just all go down with the bloody ship!"
New What,there's a difference?You can't enjoy trying to help?:-)
     Inquiring of the Grammar Gods here - (Nightowl) - (52)
         Tell SIL to sit on a stick and spin. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             "sit and spin" is the only completely corrtect answer. - (Silverlock)
             Seconded -NT - (ben_tilly)
             Thirded. - (static)
             Fourthed?!? - (jb4)
         Your writing is fine. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Positive Update :) - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Like yer .sig! -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                     Thanks, me too! - (Nightowl)
             What,there's a difference?You can't enjoy trying to help?:-) -NT - (CRConrad)
         Suggested riposte, if you want this to Cease (?) - (Ashton) - (4)
             That's the hardest part, Ashton - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 Not so hard - - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Re: Not so hard - - (Nightowl)
                     Dupe: ignore, ISP hiccupped during send mode -NT - (Nightowl)
         She's an ass****e - (broomberg) - (1)
             Re: She's an ass****e - (Nightowl)
         A suggestion - (jbrabeck) - (4)
             :-) -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             Hahahah! - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Price List: - (Ashton)
             :-) -NT - (jb4)
         Peter's Rewrite, FWIW: - (pwhysall) - (1)
             s/coagulate/rigor-mortisize/ :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         You're fine, but giving her too much time - (hnick) - (8)
             Agreed - (Nightowl) - (7)
                 Hmmm...I always thought: "those that can't teach, teach gym" -NT - (jb4) - (6)
                     Well, yeah... but we were talking about writing... - (hnick)
                     Nope, My sister the middle school teacher's coffee cup says - (Silverlock) - (4)
                         I was just being a smartass. - (hnick) - (3)
                             Those that can't teach gym - (imric) - (1)
                                 Explains Der Karl nicely! Thanx- -NT - (jb4)
                             Being a smartass? On this board? No. Say it isn't so. - (Silverlock)
         Twain quote - (drewk) - (2)
             Voltaire(?) quote - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 "I am retuning this paper. Someone wrote on it." no origin -NT - (hnick)
         Late than never I suppose - (boxley) - (4)
             Never heard of it - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 google foo is weak, however - (boxley) - (2)
                     Here ya go. 13 kB img. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Ain't it da Truff... - (Ashton)
         Re: Is it redundant? - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             If I've told you once - - (Ashton) - (9)
                 Owl Vs SIL Round 1, Owl. - (Nightowl) - (8)
                     Worse than Ashtonese or Boxlish? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                         what part of "oh fine you write the dam thing" - (boxley)
                         Explanation - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             {Guffaw!} Award: 1\ufffd Emmys + an Edgar for aptly-hidden Snide! -NT - (Ashton)
                             SILatin - (Nightowl)
                             Combining all your advice, Thanks! - (Nightowl)
                     Epistle, formal letter. Epithet, descriptive, usually... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         (And an epistle may deteriorate into a rant, screed, easily) -NT - (Ashton)

Ohh... they're still working.
211 ms